2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Objects At Rest On The Couch Tend To Stay on The Couch
Boxing Day's big adventure ride ended up a bust for me. Due to a very limited sleeping schedule and more driving time than I felt like sacrificing, I opted to stick closer to home and hit up one of the local trails with Monkey and some friends. As much as I longed to be up on the plateau exploring, I have to admit, I was having a blast tooling around the bell with Pumptrack Jim, Jeffy, and Monkey. JD was the only one who could keep PTJ's wheel on any of the descents (and even he got gapped). PTJ and Jeff were gracious enough to sacrifice some mileage to accommodate the young pups trail training: stopping at the creeks for water, taking the descents slow enough to keep him at a good pace, and giving him the tire rub when he gets in the way. Sometimes it takes a village to train a pup.
JD did great, as always, and we ended up with 16 miles for his day. I feel sorry for all of those other customers of Kirk's because they got robbed. I got the bestest one ever. He loves trail running, people, food, and hanging out wherever I am. The EMIL hooked me and JD up with the best Christmas present ever: tennis balls. They were extremely enjoyed Christmas day, despite the cold wind and 33 degree temps, and he is still determined to figure out how to carry all 3 of them in his mouth at the same time.
Christmas Eve was special for H. and her mom, it was the first time in 5 years that H. was able to go to midnight mass with her mother. It's also the first time since my involvement with the family that all members were able to spend the entire holiday underneath one roof. It was pretty special getting to watch Hagan open his presents Christmas morning, bake cookies Christmas eve, and watch Dish eat all but 4 of the cookies set out for Santa, Dish and JD drink his milk, and how excited Hagan was putting out the reindeer treats Christmas eve. Robin Hood was always my favorite Disney animation as a kid and I watched it with Hagan, introducing him to the magic of Robin Hood. After which I'm not sure he stopped watching it the rest of the holidays except for the time he got grandpa to watch Spongebob with him. He's a fun nephew.
The EMIL attempted to burn the house down Christmas Eve. Some candles were burning on the stoop of the fireplace and started to burn some decorations. An alert Grandpa and Hagan helped avoid a potentially sucky ending and everyone enjoyed giving me grief about not noticing, being the son of a fireman. My first comment was "why didn't the smoke detectors go off" (also Dad's first comment when I called him to tell him what was going on) then I reminded them that "he's retired now and we don't do that anymore". Humor rules. I can't imagine getting through life without it, even when it's not funny.
Sunday morning started out lazily, hence the objects at rest on the couch tend to stay on the couch title. I lacked motivation, though the clear sunny day was inviting. It took 2 cups of coffee and a determined Catahoula to rouse me up and out to do the barn chores. Cold with a warm sun, I suited up for a road ride after finishing with the barn. Dish doesn't even lift an eyelid from the recliner when I grab the road bike, but JD is still young and has a hard time determining when he gets to go. Several "no, stay" commands and a gate close later, I was off for a ride. At first, I was toasty warm, perfectly dressed for the weather. As the clouds crept in they brought a colder and stronger wind and my last 10 miles had me working harder to get home. It was the first road ride I've enjoyed since the last night ride with 8ball weeks ago.
Once home I quickly swapped shoes and bikes and headed out back with the pups. 6 miles of trail and field riding with Dish and JD was a great way to cap off a fun road ride. Kind of a mini training camp without having to drive anywhere. It's also amazing what an iPod can do for morale and motivation. Nothing like a running soundtrack to the movie of your life to help out.
Feeling good about actually getting some quality riding done, I tried to keep the motivation up and got the recycling out to the recycling center, picked up a half gallon of milk to last us until we leave for Illinois, and am about to tackle the back log of dishes accumulating in the sink. Man cave cleaning and vacuuming are on the agenda for tonight. hoorah, do I know how to spend a Sunday or what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















No comments:
Post a Comment