J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, February 10, 2011

5 Hours

A Gnat-esque Snowtograph.

I left for home yesterday around 4:45pm. I arrived home 9:42pm. Three minutes shy of a 5 hour commute. It wasn't so much the snow or the inexperience of the drivers, although those contributed, but rather the slick conditions paired with the hills and undulations common in middle TN roads. Traffic would stop at lights on a slight hill then not be able to start again. Cars would stop behind them and the cycle would continue. Off ramps would close due to TDOT plows trying to free stuck semis jack-knifed in the curves. Bumper to bumper for miles and miles. Cars stuck in middle lanes of the interstate, in ditches, and teetering off of ledges.

Pups ready to run. 

I tried to park and wait it out, but every business be it gas stations or restaurants were closed or closing.  The longer I waited, the worse traffic got. I parked the car in a lot I thought would be safe to leave it and started to get my bike out, but after 2 near misses of my car by other drivers cutting through the lot, I thought better of it. Once on the interstate I was stuck as no off ramp was available.

Perfect trail powder conditions.

I thought about leaving the car on the side of the interstate, but we all know what happened last time I had to abandon a car. Not going through that again. So I kept on, creeping along in 1st gear, making my way towards home. Once North of the city traffic cleared and only the icy slick roads were left to contend. 


Silver linings of the fiasco were we all made it home safely and a fresh coat of powdery snow on the ground awaiting the Snoots-lite. The 26x2.6" tires aren't quite endomorphs or Larrys, but perhaps qualify as at least a Shemp.


As much as the snowy conditions are causing havoc around the city and causing issues getting home, it sure has been fun riding all week long. I'm glad we don't normally have a lot of snow to deal with, but getting out in some of the white stuff has been refreshing as of late. It's been over a decade since I've gotten to experience a real winter.

No comments: