This one is much bronzier than the silver from last year.
Another year, another State Championships. This year the race fell on the Montgomery Bell race two weeks after my protege Daniel and I took our first season XC wins. We are both coming into late season fitness and were feeling pretty good about our chances. We pre-rode the course the Tuesday after Mousetail and followed our normal routines as much as possible trying to stay fresh and ready for the State Champs race. Competition would be of higher caliber being a State Champ race, but we were feeling good. Our main rivals were our own teammates, Jim (GrassMOOTS) and Jamison (MOAB) Simms and we would be racing them on their home course. Home court confidence on their side. Slight ego boost from a good showing last race on ours.
Me, Jim, and Shaggy photo cred: Andrew Head @ Swiftwick
Before I knew it we were off. I'm not the best at getting a good start but somehow found myself sitting in the lead before the first turn of the grass run before entering the singletrack. I sat up a bit and went into the woods 5th. I'm a slow starting diesel, never have been fast from the gun. We got into the woods and positions were swapped. I realized I had someone hot and heavy on my rear, it was Jim. He's way to fast to be behind me at the start and I let him pass. Dumbest move ever. He was gone never to be seen again until the end.
Daniel too, found himself leading the hole shot into the woods. He sat up and let Jamison lead him in (Coach's tactical blunder there in hindsight) and the boys revved through the woods with lap times equaling those of older and more experienced riders. These JRS haul some ass. He was closing the gap to the lead when a teammate/friend/competitor hit a tree pretty badly and got his leg pinned down. Daniel stopped and helped him up and made sure he was ok, then told the first adult he saw (Jim Simms) out on course and made sure someone knew to check on Nathan.
Daniel ended up third (just like Coach), unable to bridge back up to the race ahead. In my book though, he's a Champion. He did the right thing and made sure Nathan was ok before racing off. These kids are going to go far.
Daniel, Jonathan, and Jamison, Part of the MOAB JRS team.
Not much rest between races this week. Next weekend we have the Old Hickory Classic TT, Short Track, and XC. Game On.
Chasing Jim. Photo cred: Darryl Glascock IMBA/SORBA.


1 comment:
Who is that stranger in the back ground?
Post a Comment