J5's Daily Grind

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

X'Plor-ing


After several rides on the Psychlo-X with 23c tires it was time to fatten things up. I've read a lot about the new (or more accurately newly returned) Clement tires for gravel and cross racing/riding. Most seem to gravitate towards the 40c X'plor MSO tires. Not really needing anything that fat, I opted for the more expensive (damn my luck and propensity for pricy rubber) and narrower 35c X'plor USH 120tpi tread.


Many reviews have stated that the USH isn't as reassuring or surefooted as the MSO and that 40c is really the narrowest tire for a go to gravel tire. I'm not sure I agree. I rode pavement, grass, gravel, a creek bed, and mud on my ride and the USH rode like a tire. The bike felt confident in all conditions. Even in deep gravel where the wheel knifed in, the bike was predictable. I find it hard to condemn a tire to only urban riding because it doesn't allow one to confidently rail into gravel that is deep and loose and prone to collapse/move from underneath you unexpectedly. The USH rolls efficiently on the road, didn't seem to weigh me down on climbs, cornered confidently, and soaked up the rough stuff capably at a rather high inflation of 60 psi. I think with a wider (21-23mm) rim the USH will really shine. I have big plans for these tires this spring/summer and I hope they continue to live up to my expectations.

No comments: