I think it's the juxtaposition of gloomy, dreary grey skies coupled with cold winds and rain against the bright hints of Spring's green peaking out from amongst the Tennessee cedars and rocks that makes the Spring Classics so appealing. Winter's long hours of cold and darkness are still grasping to beat out the growing daylight hours and warmer temps of upcoming Spring. It's hard to beat a lazy Easter morning filled with Flanders, waffles, yogurt, and coffee followed by a long bike ride with wind, rain, gravel, and loose dogs.
Newly found gravel.
I find such solace in the obscure, secluded, off the beaten path back roads of Middle Tennessee. Despite fighting a headwind and stinging rain for much of the ride, it was a comforting few hours to be out. I shared the roads with 3 cars over the course of 50 miles. Not too shabby. I've started amping up my mileage in preparation for my first real event of 2013. The TBRA mountain bike races have just been serving as "good training" miles. I'm pretty stoked as the event is only in it's second year, it's an unknown area for me, and an area I've been wanting to ride/race in for the past 5 years after hearing tale of underground and rugged gravel races. Funny how it all fell together. All I need now is to get my legs out of hibernation.
Sleepy. JD's morning nap in the Sun.

No comments:
Post a Comment