I've ridden a 650b bike similar to my 26" and could barely tell a difference. At least not one to justify a new ride. Maybe if I had 1.9 or 2.0 tires on my 26, but I run high volume 2.25 tires and the difference is negligible. Hopping on the 29'er is vastly different in so many ways, I can understand its popularity. Maybe 650b is so buzz worthy because all the 29'er zealots who eschewed 26" wheels realize smaller wheels are still fun but can't admit it and go back to 26 so a new size had to be created? That's my theory. That and since 29'er zealots swore off 26'ers the bike companies had to find a new wheel size to sell them as the 29'er sales flatten out.
As far as gravel bikes, this is interesting. Some bikes are coming out are rather cool offerings that overshadow the road offerings. Others are more of a "what the hell were they thinking" and "marketing people kinda suck" variety. I've been asked for input on what my ideal gravel race bike would be and I've given my thoughts, but really pretty much any bike will do given a few mods or compromises.
I used to think fatter tires were better, not so much anymore. Granted fatter tires offer more suspension/softer ride, less knife in on deeper, looser gravel, and tend to float better in sand/mud. But I've had fat tires knife in. I've had them sink into mud and sand. And I've had skinner tires offer a softer yet faster ride. For me 35 to 38c tires are perfect for most conditions and 30c for adventure roading. This trend for 40-45c tires leans towards monster cross or Fargo territory more than towards gravel racer in my mind. But that's just the curmudgeon on me. I feel similarly about disc brakes on road bikes. I get why people want it and understand the benefits. I just don't think they are a requirement for a gravel race bike. Nor do I think throwing fatter tires, disc brakes, and a taller head tube on a bike makes it a gravel specific race bike as some of the bike co's are spitting out.
I do, however, fully understand their appeal. Fat roading (as I like to call it) is a lot of fun. It is a lot more convenient to head out on a roadie style bike and explore gravel, dirt, and farm roads than it is to load up and drive to a trail head. Less time driving, more time riding but still scratching the itch for off-road fun. Calling them "Gravel Grinder Bikes" or "Gravel Race Bikes" is going to limit their appeal to folks. Either way, I'm loving the hell out of my Fat Road bike and that's all that really matters.









No comments:
Post a Comment