J5's Daily Grind

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Change of Scenery (and a Man Cave)

Due to circumstances outside of our control, we had to leave our beloved farm in Franklin. A week of 94 degree heat and no A/C upstairs in the apartment above the barn made packing and loading a sweaty endeavor. It's an unexpected move with heavy hearts and conflicted feelings. We miss our barn family already.


The good news is that the A/C is on and I have my bike rack rebuilt and serving it's purpose once again. A bike/pool/bar filled "man cave" is in the works and the bathroom has saloon doors!!!


The "kitch"en has sweet turquoise push button stove and oven from the Hee Haw era and a breakfast nook to sit and eat.


The bedroom is HUGE-humongous with an enormous walk-in closet. I even have my own cavernous closet in the hall. The dogs are able to roam and wander at will thanks to an electric fence and the horses are frolicking in the front yard paddock. It's quite a change and my wondermous 12 mile perfectly scenic commute by bike has been replaced by a much longer drive, but I'm searching out options for riding.


Since we finished well ahead of schedule, Fixie 8-ball Mooch Mike and I snuck out to LBL (45 minutes closer now) for a North/South trail out and back. There was a race at Mousetail (congrats Adam!!) but with similar drive time plus $40, we could ride for 2 hours or we could head North and ride for 9, we chose 9. 64 miles of 94 degree heat and humidity. The first 15 were pretty comical and pathetic as I struggled to get my trail eyes, handling, and speed back. Eventually the handling came back, then the speed, but the trail eyes took till about mile 29 to kick in. I was struggling a bit for the first 31, with Mooch able to keep a faster roll and was usually off the front. 3hrs 45mins. 30 mins off pace (mostly my fault)

A good head dowsing and water refill at the North Welcome Center and we were back on our way. I'd downed an Ensure at the stop and the calories were a welcome addition to my day. (Neither of us brought enough food). A group of about 10 cyclists left the Center just as we were preparing to roll out. I thought they were off for the 11 mile canal loop, but not far up we got stuck in the procession. Gearies in grannies spinning up the short steep ups while we grunted trackstands behind. Eventually we got passed half and were in the mix with the steadier traveling front of the pack. We discovered they were indeed heading to the South end. I sure hope they realized it was 31 miles, had enough water and food, and possibly lights. We got around and quickly settled into a brisk pace. I was feeling rejuvenated after the stop.

The ride was uneventful and enjoyable and I was finally feeling good and able to ride, despite the heat. That is, until we had about 8-10 miles to go, we both ran out of water. Miserable. On the verge of bonking and dying of thirst (only because we kept thinking about being out of water) we championed on and finally made it to the trail head, the car, and the Powerade machine. Quick clean up, some Mexican food, and a shower at home and now it's time for bed.


Caitlin, get the iChat going so we can video chat. We miss you guys!

No comments: