J5's Daily Grind

Monday, November 2, 2009

Maxine the Mullet

Max preparing his Mad Mullet Maxine routine for his evental upgrade to CX womens.

Sunday's races had slightly warmer temps with sunny skies and peanut buttery, strength sapping, murky mud. The soil was drying on much of the grassy bits, but the deep mud was just curing slowly like concrete making for some serious sludgery. Sunday was also a points race and the mood of many racers was all business. Glad they weren't there Saturday with their somberness (and inherent rudeness), talk about a bunch of Debbie Downers. Luckily there was a keg and candy to help ease the tension brought in by the downers.

Max brought his A game to the CX4's and despite not even being old enough to drive, nor able to enter the booby bungalow, he whooped up on the older kids and nabbed 3rd place (out of 17 racers). He found Taylor's left over mullet and has been actively trying to cat up to womens since they can actually ride (ahem, Eric).

After suffering in the deep mud Saturday, I swapped from my 61 gear inches down to 56 hoping I'd be able to turn the pedals over better. The lower gear had me chasing hard from the get go in the 18 deep CX old not old guys field (although I was able to still nab the finish line sprint off the start line for the photo op). Despite my best efforts, I couldn't repeat the "W" from Saturday and struggled to nab 3rd (Third, no $hit?!). The course was sloggy, but starting to show signs of faster laps as the day wore on.

The SS race had 8 this time and I apparently had left my legs somewhere out on the course earlier. I found them a lap and a half later and managed to claw my way up to 3rd, with a 'doadiedorfer clearly in my sights. The course was much drier than it had been earlier and I had been able to better close the gap but the last stretch of mud was still too energy sapping and I couldn't slog through it before he reached the gravel. c'est la vie, but at least this time he was looking back and seeing me in the same time zone.

My cross machine (This shot's for you JonC)

So far I'm leading the series in the CX Masters 35+ class by a 23pt margin and am sitting in 2nd 15pts behind #1 'doadiedorfer in the Singlespeed class. There are 6 more races left in the series. I have to work the weekend of races 7 & 8 and there's another conflict for races 5 & 6 so I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'd like to try to go for the series win, but the problem with series wins is that you need to be at most of the races in order to win. These are the good problems to have and also a sign of the addiction.

Valerie, even sans Yum Yums, is still the better part of 'doadiedorfer.

See, promoters are a cunning sort. They know most of us just want to come out and have some fun, race a few races, talk some smack, and hang out with like minded folk. We enroll into a few races, just a few. For fun, eh.

No matter which way you look.

The promoter, being cun, plays on this mindset by creating this "series". So you show up and race a few, now you've garnered some points and boom, you are in the running for something much bigger than just a race, you're leading the "series". A "series" winner. A champion.

'doadiedorfer admiring the sweet ride of 26" wheeled ti.

You can't fool me Brian. I'm onto you. I'm strong. I'm not falling for your ruse. You're Jedi mind tricks don't work on me. I just came out for some fun. I only had plans to race the Springfield races, then 8Ball said he was interested in racing last weekend (apparently there's only one day in a weekend, eh 8ball?) and a few other friends mentioned heading over. Then you lured us with promises of beer, haunted barns, and good times. It turned out H had to work all weekend and I my next weekend would be lost to work. So I figured, meh I'll do another set for fun.

Not quite as muddy as Saturday's race.

Then you turn to the 'doadiedorfer to feed me messages about points series standings. Well it's not going to work. It's done. Over. Time to move on.

Riding Homegrown: Andy on the attack.

Andy through the final mud section before the gravel.

Crossing the finish line.

Definitely less mud than Saturday, just thicker, more like vicar.

Opening up that big ol' can-o-quit. Quickly replaced by the big ol' can-o-whoop-ass in the SS race.

Man, I can't wait till the December races. Doh!


No comments: