J5's Daily Grind

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunny Sunday Morns

Riding buddy.

Taking full advantage of the lengthening daylight, I got out of bed early to make time for some dirt before heading into work at 11am. Since we're still hovering around freeze/thaw temps overnight and still have lots of wet ground, I opted to stick close to home and ride the back with JD.

The sliders fit 35x15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and now 20t cogs without having to break the chain. Enough range to cover gravel grinders, cross, and mtb needs.

First a cup or two of coffee, a bowl of honey nut cheerios, and a quick swapping to my new 20 Tooth of Doom cog, then out the door for some fun. This was my first time on trail with the bike in this month of February, I think the last time was at Clayetteville in January.


The inertia steeling qualities of the WW LT 2.55 tire are easily overlooked when the trail points down or gets rocky/rooty. The benefits are similar to those enjoyed by 29'er riders: more roll over, eases trail chatter and smaller bumps, more cornering grip, and increased momentum all at the expense of a heavier tire and added climbing resistance. Right now it's still my main choice for PMBAR, but the added climbing resistance in the steeps might make me go back to my Ignitor 2.35. Though both are listed at 790 grams (~1.75 lbs), maybe it's just mental but the I don't notice the ignitor on the steeps.


I've got the ignitor 2.35 on the rear in place of my normal 2.1 ignitor trying to keep the chopper affect of the massive 2.55 front tire down as well as add a little extra cush in the tush. Even with the sliders slammed all the way forward, there is plenty of clearance and no tire rub what-so-ever, even with a QR.


The leafy bed on the trail has settled in nicely with all the hiking and horse riding this winter, leaving an easy rolling and mostly dry trail bed. The leaves protecting it from freeze thaw effects much like the soil and Monkey Bell, leaving perfect trail conditions for the WW LT. I'm really digging the downhill grip, especially on leaf covered rocks and roots. Cadillac ride. That Weir guy just might know what he's doing...


A quick game of ball after the ride with house guests Tommy and Riley and now it's off to clean up and head out to work for the afternoon. I'm hoping the rain in the forecast passes and JD and I can get out more this week before and after work. Trail sure beats the hell out of trainer sessions.
Don't forget Weds at Yazoo for Ti One On with the Moots crew, IMBA/SORBA, and the DSG Squirrels.

No comments: