J5's Daily Grind

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vested in Vogue

H. and her barn pups.

Graced with a light schedule at work this week, I'd initially planned some time this morning for a ride with Officer VaMoots since we had an open Wednesday (his "weekend") and I could just work late. With our schedules always colliding, I rarely get to hang out with him anymore, but he decided to swing 8-5's this week screwing up the plan.

She's all work and I'm all play: H. and I and our morning routines.

Some light rain fell yesterday and briefly last night, but I went to bed with hopes of dry skies and trails in the morning. Waking up, the skies were overcast, but the weather was dry and so were the trails. Rather than waste a good dirt day with the dog for a solo ride on dry, rush hour laden pavement, I suited up for an extra angry hour (and change) session with JD. Then headed out to the barn to find him. I had to be fast as the girls had fencing plans and didn't want to get roped in. :-)

JD chawin' his straw.

The jersey-less unzipped vest look is all the rage for 2010.

Trail dog trailing along.


It was already a balmy 56 degrees out working it's way up to the mythical high of 68 degrees when JD and I headed out back. I had a thin base layer and a vest (for the pockets) on at the start but quickly lost the base layer as the heat kicked in. Spring is definitely in the air, the plants are beginning to turn green and the ticks are back at it. I got my first one for the season today.

JD must have been feeling the warmth too as his tongue was dragging and he was hanging back a bit farther than normal. He only beat me on the downhill once and that was mostly due to me washing out the front wheel on a pile of giant lumbar bones from a deer that were hidden under the leaves. He was pretty pleased with me unearthing a new stockpile of chews.


Work's schedule begins to ramp back up tomorrow, but I've sure enjoyed the past few days of late mornings. Hopefully the weather will stay dry and I can squeeze out one more morning ride session in before the long days and lost weekends return.

No comments: