J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, August 12, 2010

On the Fourth Day He Rode


Rain finally hit up North. Not a lot, just enough to wet the ground, crank up the humidity, and offer up supremo traction out back in the pit. I got home late-ish from work - just before dusk - but aching to get out for a spin. It's been one of those weeks and next week is already something I don't want to think about, so I'm going to get my play time in whilst I can. Since I've practically bought the firm one MiNewt at a time, I figure I probably should get some use out of the lights rather than let them age in a cabinet.


I mounted a MiNewt mini on the helmet, the MiNewt.X2 dual on the bars, grabbed the pups, and headed off into the drizzle. Dish opted to roam and explore the horse pasture before returning to the cool, dry, and comfy chair filled indoors. JD was as amped to get out on the trail as me no matter how dark and dank. It was go time.

Awesomely fast-ish. 

Sprouting veggie tation.

We've had some isolated showers in the area the past few weeks. Some areas have been deluged by stagnant showers that don't seem to move, other areas just get a few seconds of rain then it passes. Up North we've missed out on most of the rain. It's been so dry that the trail has become sketchy in some areas due to the dust. I'm not sure the horse fields have grown since tractorgate either. Monday and Tuesday's rides looked almost high desert-y in trail brownness. Add in one short afternoon shower and boom, every thing greens up almost immediately.

My IronMan repulsor is ready to fire.


Having a pup whose coat perfectly blends into most backgrounds and not having night ridden with him before I had to arm him with a safety light. Both so he could be seen and be found. The Backcountry Research provided REI sold SpotLit (specifically for pets) is the natural choice to clip to your pup's Dragonslayer collar (a damn fine collar, JD's has been thoroughly abused (tugged on, chewed on, swam in) for a year and is still as fresh as the day he got it). SpotLit comes in white and red. It's also water resistant (thankfully) and works just fine underwater as we found out when JD took it for a fully submerged swim test tonight. A side benefit: it allows you to track your night swimming pup as easily as it does on dry ground.

JD's SpotLit & Dragonslayer in action.

No comments: