J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Constancy

Emotional scars.
con·stan·cy (knstn-s) [ˈkɒnstənsɪ]  n.
1. Steadfastness, as in purpose or affection; faithfulness.
2. The condition or quality of being constant; changelessness.
3. the quality of having a resolute mind, purpose, or affection; steadfastness
4. freedom from change or variation; stability

I don't think a better word exists that more aptly defines my '03 5200, well aside from creaky which is technically more of a description than a definition of being, but I digress. Admittedly I'm a bit leery about even typing this post. Typically mere mention of something bringing me joy brings upon it an early demise, but I'm going to go out on a limb and go for broke, as they say.


So why does constancy best define my road bike? Definitions 2 and 4 can almost be taken literally with my bike. I'm not sure anything's been changed on it since early '04 when after rolling over 10,000 miles on the odometer within 12 months I changed the chain, bar tape, and cables/housing. Since then only a new set of tires or two have been swapped out. It's been steadfast since day one.


Its purpose is not to race, nor to crit. Its purpose is to bring joy from pain. To clarify. To offer escape. To be ridden hard in the rain. To take the roads less traveled and often less paved. To occasionally win an emu sprint.


In times of stress I often reach for the stability of my road bike. It faithfully complies without complaint (though often a creak or two is uttered repeatedly). 

Inspired by watching Road to Roubaix again tonight, I've cleaned it up for tomorrow's commute (see why I'm so leery?) and look forward to pretending I've got 3 minutes on the pack with 41k to go.

Home is where the dirt is. 

Fear not though, all this lovey-dovey road bike talk doesn't change anything, I still look like a mountain biker on a road bike. My heart still lies in the woods and every pedal stroke on pavement will be one more wish it were on trail.


Speaking of trail, my 3rd and latest set of DT hoops have lived up to expectations set forth by my previous 2 sets. Not only did they survive soupy mud on their inaugural race, but their first singletrack race left me a few mementos my other rims brought back from their first race too. Consistency, not to be confused with constancy. Whew the pressure is off, first dings have been made. Now where did I put those pliers?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your bald eagle is so tame.

Adam said...

It's probably just a scratch.