J5's Daily Grind

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Packing It In


Not getting consecutive days off has altered my tradition of mini-trips over a weekend. I've adapted rather well to the split days off and actually kinda like it better. Or at least it's a nice change. The week gets broken up nicely and on weeks like this one I end up feeling like I had two weekends sandwiched in.


A gravel ride was planned all week by most of us. Each day the list of participants seemed to grow larger and larger. One name I was particularly looking for never came across as a confirmed ride. I had hoped The Godfather would come experience our little slice of heaven, but I never heard a word out of him. When Parker and I showed up on time (only 5 minutes late - Parker needed to stop for water) though, he greeted me in the parking lot. Today was going to be a great day.


Several new to our gravel riders came out, even a few came off the couch (that would be Mathew back there behind Daniel). Not a single person bailed and everyone did a great job with the hills and myriad creek crossings.


Typically for each additional rider over a group of 3, your chance of flat or mechanical doubles. Despite a cast of characters 13 members long, only 4 flats were had and we finished with a much improved average speed as well. Though the perfect conditions and 80+ degree weather probably didn't hurt either.



While riding, Stanley and I were taking notes for a Tennessee version of the Death March. H. suggested that we do it near Halloween. I kinda dig that idea. A Hallowed Hollers Ride (or for you Harry Potter fans maybe a "Deathly Hollers" ride). Stay tuned, it's gonna happen. I think it'll be a lot more fun and offer a better experience for people than just another road race.






After a long day in the saddle, I came home to two very upset pups. They missed out on all the fun. Since the weather was still amazing, we headed out back to play in the creek and lake. Nothing like a cold creek to make the legs feel good again after a long day in the saddle.



Dish and JD got in some run amok time and took turns fetching sticks in the lake until the sun started to get low in the sky. We watched as it set behind the ridge, then headed back up to the house. Damn this was a great day.  How's that for some half full action H.? :-)

Also, if you're local and got some time Friday and Sunday, looking to camp and work on some trail contact me. If the weather cooperates I'll be getting out for some camping, trail work, and riding at a private invitation location this week and could use some help.

3 comments:

g-money said...

I could help you after pouring beer half the day Sat at the Nashville Beer Festival.If it is close by the house(on the Ridge that is).Ive got all day Sun.

cornfed said...

Gary,

I'll definitely take you up on some ridge work soon, but this trail work is a few hours South of Nashville.

Anonymous said...

Of the half-empty glasses I was trying to fill, yours was the least half-empty. You were just unfortunate enough to get the last drop! Sorry i unloaded on you.