J5's Daily Grind

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tour de Double


With less than 8 weeks to Kanza, I started an earnest attempt to increase my miles. Getting consistent rides in has been rough lately, but luckily the temps dropped to the 30's and 40's earlier this week to make my renewed commuting pledge even more pleasurable. It was pretty much 30's and wintery the last time I regularly got commuting miles in, then we had awesome sunny and warm days. Days I didn't get to ride in. Ma Nature loves picking on me. I got several cold commutes in and one frozen early morning single track session in before Saturday's awesome 80 degrees laughed at my non-bike commuting self.


I came prepared though. The MXRSL was in tow for some post-work adventure riding. AdamD was the only one willing to explore some new spots I'd found and we headed out on a non-chamois, non-thermal jacket required two hour adventure ride. We rode out from the shop and headed to the country burbs of Franktown where we were greeted with awesome rocky technical river trail.


Then after a bit of double track field and gravel we hit the sweet mother load of fast flowy ribbons of singletrack.  We made use of every bit of daylight we had left and got back to the shop just as the sun disappeared below the horizon. A quick load up, off to the house to clean up and feed the dogs, the on to the 'boro shop to catch up with the crew for the rest of the Tour de Fun festivities.


 I caught up with the rest of the gang as they were finishing up dinner near MTSU and we rode back to town. We'd head out to catch some bands, roll some hot laps around the square, re-group at the shop "base camp", rinse and repeat. After 10 the downtown square was pretty much only bikes. The organizers had gotten a parade type permit and the square was a scene out of Amsterdam. Bikes everywhere. We hopped from pub to pub to see the different bands and catch up with old and new friends. One thing led to another until that thing led to 4am and Waffle House.


It's been a long, long time since I'd stayed out on my bike that late. Even longer since I'd stayed out that late and got up-and-at-them at 8:30 am. The mid-80's sunshine and a solid weeks worth of riding in my legs has me feeling fine. Wonder what the next week has in store?



No comments: