2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Two Block Town
Three weeks ago I started an 8 week plan to kick start some fitness for Dirty Kanza. I had to start a plan because it has been too easy to let work and other commitments keep me off the bike. It has been going fairly well, although I've not gotten a lot of rides longer than 60 miles in yet these past few weeks. H. asked me the other night if I was "going to be ready for this Kanza thing." I'm not sure, but I hope so.
Typically I lose motivation with plans that lock you into specific rides, schedules, times, power/wattage levels, etc... So I don't do them. Instead I've devised a plan that has me on the bike as much as possible, even if it's only 30 minutes at a time, and enjoying the time on the bike rather than dreading it. Three weeks in and I'm still going strong with it. Let's just hope the fitness decides to join me at the end of it.
The "plan" also includes enjoying things off the bike more. The extra hours of sunlight in the evenings has allowed me to enjoy the simple things living closer to work can provide. Even better, I've enjoyed getting out on the dirt after a day of work thanks to longer days and shorter commutes.
Keeping it simple has allowed me to enjoy the full amenities offered by a sleepy 2 block town. H. and I have been able to enjoy spending some hang out time together with the dogs at the dog parks, while running errands, and out back at our creek with it's newly cleared access trail. Staying far, far away from the hustle and hassle of Nashvegas has been good for me. Life moves way too fast, I'm taking the effort to enjoy slowing it down.
Slow doesn't mean any less-busy (ironically I'm busier now than I've been in years). It just means I'm letting the moments have time to breath and sink in before rushing off to the next item on the list. Stopping to enjoy a quiet moment in a creek skipping stones and throwing sticks as the sun begins to fade behind the horizon, then racing its fading light on the trail back to the car.
I've still got a lot of growing up to do. Hopefully I'll have a lot of time to enjoy it before growing too old to grow up properly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment