J5's Daily Grind

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Second Fiddle Gutter Cleaner

Photo Cred: Rick Harris

The weather we were promised for the TN State CX Championships was to be wet, muddy, and rainy. Unfortunately, the race had 60 degree temps and gray skies. Not a drop of rain or mudfest. Pity. Despite the lack of Belgian weather, the course was one of the best in Cross The Way history. Very flowy with technical turns, some power sections, some power sucking sections, and some smokin' fast rippin' off-camber fun. Marshall and Brian really outdid themselves. Bravo fellas, bravo!

Photo Cred: Tara R. Ludwig

Good news is my wheels not only survived the race, but also survived a post-race lap around the mtb trails at Lock4. The 1.8 Renegades were perfect for the cx course and did well in the rocks on the trail. However their lack of high-volume-ness let the rim get several good thwacks off the rock drops. To my (and those around me) amazement the wheels held and are still true as when built. The front even survived a high-speed swallowing (near endo) by a hole in a grassy field early Saturday morning when AdamD and I were out racing around before work. Not bad for an old dog learning new tricks.

Photo Cred: Tara R. Ludwig

Bad news is I didn't have the legs to dethrone Michael "eternally training" Edens. Second fiddle yet again. I mean seriously, doesn't that guy ever take time off from training? He does have the luxury of time and youth on his side. He may have been on the top step, but at least I got the bunny ears on him in his podium shot. Singlespeed immaturity shenanigans for the win!

Photo Cred: Tara R. Ludwig

18, the sixth Lucas number as well as a semiperfect number,  that is where the countdown to 40 currently stands. 18 days. I'm out of the 30's and 20's now. Into the teens. The gap is closing fast. You'd think I'd be well past bunny ear shenanigans by now. Guess again. I even sported the uphill bunny hop each lap of the race as seen above. Bunnies rule.

Photo Cred: Tara R. Ludwig

Photo Cred: Tara R. Ludwig

It was a fun race. I really need to work on getting a better hole shot. I sat dead last into the first turns and got held up in slow traffic. I really had to work to get ahead. Once I cleared the traffic, I worked hard to reel in Edens, but he was able to stay just a few seconds ahead each lap. If only...


Southeast GrassMoots team bikes outside the hotdog stand post race. 

All in all it was a great time. Fellow GrassMoots Racer and good friend Jim Simms bought us all I Dream of Weenie hotdog lunches and led us around the mtb trail on his rigid 34c tire singlespeed. He's not been on a rigid fork in the woods in quite a while, talk about a rude re-awakening. Jim is partially the reason I made the trek up to race. When the alarm went off way too early on my day off and the 32 degree weather was tempered by the warmth of a bed of Catahoulas, I was resigned to just sleep in and take the day off. Jim's early phone calls wouldn't allow that to happen. I'm glad I chose to travel, getting to hang out all day with Jim and company was just what the doctor ordered for a case of recent riding blahs. Thanks Jim.

Stella! Stella!

The boys in hot pursuit.

Tuesdays are my Sundays. As such, I have a list of chores and "need to do's" that seem to grow like weeds. H. has had a hard time swapping back from night to day after her last set of nightshifts and was up and out early today. By the time I woke up at 8am the barn was done. We decided to not lose the extra time caused by her lack of sleep and get the in town chores knocked out early. We even managed to squeeze in some Waffle House for breakfast and were back home with town chores done well before noon.


Back at the farm the pups and I managed to drag H. out to the trails for a little bit. Despite all the massive amount of rain we've gotten the past week, the trails are riding pretty well. There are still areas of standing water which are eating into more and more pasture as the rains continue. That is where my farm chores took me today, to clean the gutters.


Although these gutters aren't hooked to a house or barn (that is another item on the list), but rather drainage creeks that run the length of the pasture and feed into the creek behind the property. Years of dead fall and lack of upkeep have them dammed off. I've been needing to clear them, I'd just never made the time. Today time was made.


And no power tools were used to clear all the downed trees, brush, and logs. I opted for an old cross-cut saw and my camping hatchet. By the time I'd cleared the ditch, the swamp level had lowered to below the cobble bridge and the pasture lake had turned into a small puddle. Hopefully having the ditch cleared will help with some of the water issues that plague the back field over the winter months.


Since I like to make Tuesday my "get sh*t done" day, I still try to incorporate a bike and ample run/play time for the pups into the chore list (all work and no play, ya'know?). After clearing the ditch, we got in some more laps. Then feeling empowered by the quick progress of the ditch clearing with the hatchet, I cleared the final leg of the perimeter trail. It runs the length of the creek and allowed the dogs plenty of time for water play while I cut and cleared the trees and shrubs. As the sun set, we got in a final few laps before heading to the house to finish the inside chore list.  Another successful getting sh*t done day in the books.