The wall finally fell, so (of course) we had to ride it.
34. The ninth Fibonacci number. The atomic number of Selenium (the stuff used to make photocells). The number of days remaining before I turn 40. I have Brian to blame for this countdown. And blame I will.
R.J. helping with the horses with Patrico Voldemorting in the background.
The past six days passed pretty innocuously without much riding or free time. I did get to squeeze in a short afternoon road ride with the boss when the sun was out, which was pretty cool. But nothing to really write home about. Just going through the motions. Although, an hour after we closed Wednesday a woman bought a pair of shoes (that took her the entire hour to decide upon) that were a size 38. Which was the exact number of days remaining on my countdown. (I know, creepy right? What the F, David Blaine?)
Cowboy cooking: Beans and franks.
A 3 bedroom scenic overlook cabin on The Mountain fell into my lap for this weekend. The weekend of sun and 70 degree weather. Unfortunately, no matter how we tried it just wasn't going to work out. Living on a working farm makes it hard to just pick up and leave, animals and chores still need tending to. So rather than just give up, we did what we could do and still made a weekend of it. Last night was perfect for camping and cooking over an open campfire, so that is just what we did. Having a farm does have its privileges, despite sometimes anchoring you.
We took the dogs out for a short night ride while scouting camp locations and collected some wood for the fire. A large hack berry and a medium cedar log, both of which would burn hot and nearly all night long. The full moon was slow in rising making lights necessary at first, but once it finally climbed above the low clouds, I was able to ride and collect timber without needing a light. It truly was a great night for being outside.
Sunday was the first real ride I was able to get in and once again it felt great to be out in the woods. RJ has only ever mountain biked once and Patrico is new to the game, so we rolled a pretty chilled out first half lap with Jim until Rick rolled up on us and Patrico and I tried to hold onto his wheel for as long as we could. I lasted a lap and a half while Patrico chased hard to catch back up to us. Conditions were prime and the flow supreme. Is tomorrow really Monday already?


1 comment:
34. The ninth Fibonacci number. <-- My new favorite descriptor of a numeric digit.
Post a Comment