A friend of mine teaches people how to think creatively. To adapt new ways of thinking to resolve complex problems. He's a pretty damn cool fellow whom I haven't seen in a very long time. Today that changed. We'd made plans earlier in the week to make time to get together for a ride.
During our ride we caught up on our respective lives and told tales of our adventures. Lamented on time lost and things not done and how friends and loved one have passed on or are fighting illness. He made the comment of me being his pastor; someone whom he comes clean with and expunges all his demons. I was highly honored to hear that. I love our discussions and glimpsing the world through his filters.
Then, while wandering the isles of the grocery store like a senile old man who lost his way, I started thinking about work and all the projects I need to keep on top of and follow up on and the changes about to happen when Patrico and Apollo leave. The stresses of the job started to overwhelm my peaceful day off. Then I thought about my time with Parker and changed my line of thinking. I stopped my default. Time to design a new way. To follow Park's lead and design a new work life.
I've been very fortunate this week. Although my time at home and at rest have been very scarce, I have been rich in friends. Work reached out and stole several hours of my time due to late night customer needs on Monday, but I was still able to make it over to help Monster pack his bike and go over his gear before he flew out for Banff and the grand depart.
Tuesday was a wash. It involved a few hours of lawn tractor repair followed by hours of mowing, dentist visit, more mowing, traffic court, and finished the night up with more mowing. I did salvage the day with a short ride with the pups.
Wednesday brought a ride with another friend who has moved on from Nashville. Farkas was back for a short visit and came out to ride with us on our Wednesday night shop ride. Another talented kid living the dream out in Colorado. It was great to be able to catch up with him and beat him in a sprint. Take that Mr. JR National Champion. (I didn't beat him, we're all just saying I did).
Saturday gave me the gift of an early morning trail ride with the pups and a post work trail ride with the shop crew. An evening of racing around the woods with friends trying to beat the sun. Good times. Times we need to make more time to enjoy.
Which pretty much sums up my design change. Make more time. My default is to let time run me. I think I'll be much happier running time.
No comments:
Post a Comment