J5's Daily Grind

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Recovery Day Stash



My day off was used as a sick day. Worse use of a sick day ever. The plan was to lay around and sleep as much of the day and sickness away as possible, only I was unable to sleep without being interrupted by coughing and snotting fits. To occupy my time, I stripped the Psychlo X down and started the post rainy, muddy race repairs. Since I didn't have anything better to do, I was able to take my time and get a really thorough cleaning in. Everything came off: brakes, cranks, cassette, wheels, chain, etc. Sand eradicated, mud removed, parts polished.


The two and a half week old team GXP bottom bracket had both bearings seized up. Dammit. Determined not to replace anything because of stupid engineering designs, I worked on freeing up the bearings. Degrease, scrub, degrease, scrub, dry, degrease, scrub, dry until finally all the surface rust had been removed and the races cleaned. Fresh application of some King grease and the bearings spun freely and smoothly again. An hour and a half of labor beats dropping another fifty bucks on a bottom bracket.


One of our fellow GrassMoots riders recently submitted a post about secret stash rides. It reminded me of the typical rides that churn up around here this time of year, namely the Godfather ride (2010, 2011a & 2011b, 2013). I look forward to this ride more than every other each year. Hidden gems are ridden, raced, and explored with some of the most amazing people I've been blessed to call friends. 


Hoping my body heals enough in time to be able to suffer though the ride, I needed to test out the PX to make sure everything was going to be right and ready for the weekend. Sickness be damned, I suited up in some warm clothes and headed out to my "secret stash" with the dogs for a quick shakedown ride.


We explored some little ridden paths and trails. The leaves and cold grey weather reminiscent of Godfather Gravel Rides past. The leaves and creeks reminding me of my favorite section of the GGR last year, the old horse trail along the river. I really hope the rain holds out and that section returns for the 2013 running of the GGR.


The bike was working as good as new and feeling at home in the woods. I, however, wasn't feeling up to much so after a bit I parked the bike and let the pups play in the creek. As they explored, I sat back and took in the scenery. I truly feel blessed to have such a secret stash available to me, be it the trails or friends. I'm one lucky dude.


Cannonball!

JD loves swimming almost as much as he loves running trails. One could say he's a bit obsessed. The 42 degree day didn't sway him either. He was all in. "Dock" diving and launching after sticks. This dog cracks me up.

No comments: