
Woke up to a gorgeous blue sky, puffy white cloud Sunday morning. Decided to let the chores list wait until later in the day, I pulled on my boots and headed for the barn, I had some wooded acres to explore and today felt like the perfect day to do it.
Ran into H. and Ian all suited up and heading to the arena to "work". Crow and I wouldn't be working, we'd be playing.

Ian walked over to say hi to Crow (aka Ernie) after his workout.

Back in the woods, exploring the trails.





The terrain is rolling with steep hill sides and varied terrain, it'll make a killer playground for bike and equine.

Ian getting a bath after working up a lather training.

The story of Crow:
A few know the full story, but the short(ish) version is death had it's grips around Crow 3 times. Three times he was close to being euthanized to be spared the pain and agony of an undiagnosed (at the time) disease wreaking havoc on him. Eating away his muscles and nerve endings. Each time he fought back. He never once accepted he was sick. He figured out a way to eat all on his own when his jaw muscles atrophied. Figured out how to see when his left eye dilated and fogged over to white. Figured out a way to move grass from the front of his mouth to his throat when his tongue stopped working. Fought to stand when the slightest turn of his head would cause him to fall over and collapse in a heap.
It was a long battle, but one that he beat, along with the help of some special equine vets. I never expected him to be normal again, let alone to be able to ride him. Some days he's not so stable (hah! get it?) and there are still side effects from the disease that hamper normal life for him, but he's never given up. Some days I get upset and angry when I ride him and realize he's not the same horse he once was, but I always end up grateful that he's still here.
It was a ride just like any other before the change. The connection to the trail, the excitement of exploring, the powerful driving steps up the steep hills, the sure footed descending, everything was back. Well, after several years, I found something I never expected to find. I found my old friend today.


No comments:
Post a Comment