The North/South trail was the designated playground for the day. An out and back offering a ripping 64 miles of roller coaster singletrack. The trail was in immaculate shape, though hot the humidity was down and no where near the death march cooker last time. I'm finding my trail eyes again after a long year of long haul gravel grinders. 8-ball was showing signs of improvement too, his set-up on the Zion offers him a bit more zip in my opinion. His wheel was hard to hold onto in some sections. My new meats were hooking up really well despite the loose rock on hardpack, inspiring me to push the corners brakes be damned, leading to one overcooked turn and a walk-out endo: A root stopped the bike cold, I stepped over the bars and as the bike continued its rotation, the saddle came up and knocked me on the back of the head as I stood up. Flawless execution.Since 8Ball rides a 29'er and I still prefer my 26'er, I enjoy quizzing him as we ride. We're evenly matched in speed and skill, so as we zip over choppy roots I ask "How's that feel on the 29'er?" To which he responds "Like choppy roots". Then as we slog through the sandy sections "How's that feel on the 29'er?" "Like sloggin' through sand." As he endo's over a root that stops his wheel cold "How's that feel?"
I rode his Zion around a bit the other day, it still feels like I'm up in the air on a road bike. Eastbound Jeff brought me a disc 29'er wheel to try out on my 1x1. I threw it in and spun around the yard. For the first time I felt instantly comfortable on a 29'er wheel. Maybe it's the 438mm a/c 38mm off-set fork with the 71degree head tube angle combined with a short chain stay and 26" rear wheel, or maybe it's simply because it's my bike and it felt like my bike only with a heavier front wheel. Who knows, but I'm going to have some fun playing around with the setup on some local trails.


Fresh off bending a Niner, 8ball was ready to test his new indestructible 29'er (I think his stem's too short):

Anyone seen my cog ring? Don't let his innocent, happy go lucky charms fool you, he's a monster on the bike and, according to an anonymous source in Kansas, into some pretty freaky stuff (word on the street anyway):



Keith's Niner needs more white (right Snowball?):

Keith can't keep his hands off Eastbound Jeff's Lynskey (apparently Jeff can't either, he's wiping off dust again):

This carnage:



Led to 17 miles of pavement spin spin spinning 34x18:
Loaded up and heading home, already dreaming of the next adventure.

No comments:
Post a Comment