Running old parts sometimes bites you in the arse. I've been running a Vicious Cycles rigid fork I bought off of Ivory (my go to bike part dealer) when my old Bomber died and the 1x1 fork just wasn't cuttin' it for me. It's been a solid great riding fork for me going on 2 years now. It's 438mm and worked great on my old Litespeed and Surly 1x1. It fits well on the new Moots Rigormootis, but since the frame was designed around a 470.5 mm a/c 100mm fork, it's a tad on the steep side in the current setup.I run a 2.1 rear and a 2.35 front, so that helps keep the hta slack, but I was still missing about 7mm of a/c length. Enter bike numbers geek OldGreg. OldGreg sent me a link via chat to Ventana's site and their 7mm King base plate. Designed to add fork / down tube clearance for the ever increasing stack height of the new suspension fork designs, but I think it'll work well to give me the front lift I need on my very limited budget.
Art Bell at workThe few short test rides have the bike riding like a bike. Perfect! 7mm is probably pretty minimal to notice, but the bike does feel a tad less front end biased now. Yard tests have it still feeling like a bike. SORBA/DSG are hosting another trail work weekend down at the Cotton Mill Preserve. I can't wait to get down and run it through the paces on the course of pain.


Why add a tall base plate and not buy a new fork? Well, I don't have the money for one, yet. I've been squirreling away all my spare change in the electronic change jar the EMIL got me a while back. Some told me to grab a taller 29'er fork, but I worry the added height will slacken the hta and combined with the longer rake the bike would be floppy. But I'm not an engineer. So I emailed a professional. He advised me on what I should do. So Walt, if you actually read this, I'm up to $189.19 now despite what the photo shows.


No comments:
Post a Comment