2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Saturday, May 29, 2010
3 Day Saturday
With the 12DoH ending early Friday, I made sure to squeeze last weekend's missed activities into today. I actually started last night getting the bike room cleaned and tents packed up from the post DSG rain deluge dry-out fest. Getting everything put away and organized for use as a functional bike room again to the tunes of late 80's heart-on-sleeve punk (Husker Du, The Replacements) that bled into some Church, Smiths, Cure's Disintegration album, the Clash, Fishbone, Ministry, Mother Love Bone, Fugazi, and finished with some good ol' Sonic Youth's Sister and Daydream Nation albums setting the tone for the weekend.
After a late (9am) morning layin' and barn chores, I started packing Kanza gear while enjoying coffee. iTunes continued the late 80's onslaught of old school "alternative" (remember when it was just called "college radio"?). I'm digging my semi-forced minimalistic pack. Due to less space than previous attempts, I'm forced to trim down and I think it's going to make the adventure that more fun.
I'm having a small ethical dilemma though. Due to the organizers allowing crews at the check points (no more drop bag options), the ability to have spare wheels, tires, parts, clothes, etc... waiting for you makes having to carry what you might need less of a concern. To me though it begins to alter the meaning of self sufficiency. Sure last year had I packed a spare tire for use in my halfway drop bag I could have kept on keeping on, then again I might have suffered the slice after the halfway check point too and still been S.O.L..
I think though that I am going to carry all that I plan on needing with me the entire race. Self sufficient is self sufficient and I think I'd feel better about completing the race if I didn't depend on a support crew for spare parts. It'll already be different than years past having people at the halfway point to cheer you on. Talk about motivation. That'll be better than any Honey Badger Pep talk. I might throw a spare tire in and possibly some more tubes, but those would have been drop bag items anyway and as long as I've raced Kanza halfway drop bags have been options for all. Which is mostly my ill feelings about having support crews, not everyone will have that option due to the complexity of the event. But we'll see.
After lunch I took to preparing the Rigor for some ride time. I threw my new Boone 18t titanium cog onto the back to better suit the Monkey Pit terrain and geared up to get some laps in with the anxiously awaiting someone to play with him Monkey dog, JD while H. rode her pony in the front field. This was the first time JD and I have been to the Monkey Pit to ride since the car accident.
After a few hours, JD and I headed back up to the barn to check in. H. was still in the front field just finishing her ride when the pups and I found her, so we rode around a bit on the way back to the barn. Ian even had a bit of fun chasing after me and the dogs.
While H. finished up at the barn, I headed up to prep her road bike for an afternoon road ride. It's probably her second secret loop of the year if I recall correctly. I rode the Rigor for a chance to shake out position and tire selection. T-storms were predicted for the afternoon and we could see storm clouds brewing in the distance, but a small sun shower is all we received which was welcome during the long climbs on the hot pavement.
Jeff "The Duke" Scott joked earlier this year that it only took me 4 rides to get back into shape. I hope there's a tinge of truth in that as I just finished my 4th ride since DSG with less than a week till Kanza (two rides last weekend and two today). Not a lot of time left for fitness gains. Tomorrow will be time well spent with family and Monday is looking to be a gravel shake out ride.
Two rides, some lake time with the pup, bike maintenance, gear packing, room organizing, house cleaning, a power nap, and a trip to the only store in the closest small town to acquire a gift for tomorrow (which will receive it's own posting later) with a late morning start is a hell of a lot to squeeze into a single day. So stoked I still have two more remaining. This weekend rocks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















3 comments:
OK, so when I was rocking a Boone cog you gave me a hard time. Hmm...
Coop: That was due to your chain drop issue (pc-1 and Boone). I'm using a thinner chain and it's my only cog option besides the one not lost in the flood.
It is making some odd noises though so probably won't be back there long.
Can we change the name to the puppy pit? Its Rose and Zappy's playpit too?? And thanks for eating the weeds. I got narry a tick yesterday (although that may also be due to the horse spray I used).
H
Post a Comment