LBL moon dust.
The theory: 'Clean bikes are faster'. Cooper's bikes are always spotless and he's pretty damn fast, so he must be on to something, right?
The Rigor was in need of a little preventative maintenance and since I was putting new wheels and swapping gears for today's short track race anyway, I figured it was a good time to pull it apart and give it a once over. The chain hadn't worn enough to warrant a change, but a new chain cleaner product I tried has made the chain stiff and dry. So dry lubing it doesn't seem to last and stiff links are multiplying. The spiffy looking nickel plated 870 chain was a victim of May's flood so a less sexy but similar weight 850 will have to do.
A side effect of a clean bike is usually a quiet bike.
Admittedly I'm a little over excited about the short track race today. I've not raced since the collapse and puke gastrointestinal failure that was Kanza. Several tests, scopes, needles, and kidney challenging inject-able dyes later I'm no more closer to a solution than I was in June. I have, however, been able to actually ride my bike without incident the last month so improvement is promising. I see today's 25 minutes + 3 laps of pain more of a litmus test for cross to see if the body is better behaved. I'm also hoping to see a large turn out as I'm wanting to host a weekly short track & short course series over the fall.
New meats, new chain, new hoops. All clean and a fresh coating of lemon Pledge on the Moots. If it doesn't make me faster at least it'll take better photos. Having a spotless bike and tires will also go a long way in making the starting line lies of "I've not really been riding much" a little more believable.





1 comment:
Clean is FAST!!!
Post a Comment