J5's Daily Grind

Friday, September 9, 2011

Strapped and Cogged


The Monkey Bell race is this weekend and I'm considering taking the fitness hybrid out for 3 laps of over-geared self torture. Since I still use the fitness hybrid mainly for commuting and gravel, I haven't messed with stans-ing up the wheels. Too big of a hassle when swapping tires over, so I wanted to make sure I could tote 2 big 29'er spare tubes comfortably on the hybrid.


Since it and it's other wagon wheeled brethren don't have the slick under the wishbone awesome strap spot and anything on the seatpost or saddle rubs my thighs, I had to get creative. The stem is an easy choice, but the new curved downtube on the MX RSL seems designed to perfectly hold a spare. Tucked up tight and out of the way. Another innovative upgrade brought to you unknowingly by the fine folks at MOOTS.

Sunday should be fun. I've decided to run 33x19 for 27 miles of Monkey Bell. It's going to hurt but better to hurt during the race than have to break the chain, add a link, suffer through longer wheelbase handling in the twisties (the 19t stuffs the wheel in as far as possible), only to re-break the chain to get the daily 15t cog to fit again. Yeah, I'm going to take the easy way and pay for it later. Word.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

32x19 is the magic number, but I'm sure you'll do fine. ;o)

wv: minia
def: "an ore"
also a common mispelling of "Mania"