Morning frost.
There is a quote from "Reveal the Path" that has been rambling around my head a lot lately about why time seems to pass so quickly when out riding. It roughly goes something like:
"Time is something we use to measure the passing of life. This bit here, this is living life."
When I woke up this morning, that quote was stuck on repeat in my head, motivating me to get outside. After cooking some fresh farm eggs and coffee, I grabbed my bike and headed out to start my day. I use my bike to get around the farm because it's the best vehicle and, being my land, I don't have to follow any rules other than those laid down by physics. Allowing me to ride where ever I feel like riding. Every where except where physics likes to play hardball.
First off was the farm chores. Releasing the hens, putting the horses out, cleaning the stalls, and hay and water duties. JD always accompanies me for the barn chores, but today we had a special guest.
This little bundle of terrier showed up at the farm last night. H. checked with all of our neighbors but none of them are missing any dogs. We're trying to find her owner, but rather than taking her to the pound, we're letting her hang out at the farm. She's definitely an inside dog and loves to follow along. Hopefully she'll find her way back to her people soon.
I wonder what JD and Nugget are talking about.
After the chores, I had a few errands to run in town. I try to not drive on my days off, especially when I don't have to, so I rode. The last few rides I've done have been without the use of performance enhancing clothing and I must say it's been rejuvenating. I don't know why, but it's been fun not dressing up in Lycra for a ride. The colder weather has enabled the ability to ride further without special needs clothing and it's been an unexpected treat. Everything from singletrack to pumptrack to urban riding to commuting.
I discovered new places to ride on my trek into town.
Just riding, no planning. It's been refreshing. It's not that I'm burned out, I'm not. I'm just not able to find the motivation to go out and just ride a 30-40 mile loop as "training" right now. I'll go out and ride 30-40 miles but it's just to enjoy the ride and explore. Kinda like when we were kids. I'm really enjoying just enjoying being out riding for nothing other than for the ride.
Then it was time to cut loose with the hounds. We raced around the trails until the sun began to set, and then we gathered up some cedar to test out the new fire pit. As the sun went down, the temperature did as well, but the cedar burned hot and bright while the hot tea warmed us from the inside. All without performance enhancing clothing or the use of a clock.








No comments:
Post a Comment