J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, December 13, 2007

For Three Strange Days...

I couldn't put a smile on my face (School of Fish fans?). Three days of no riding had me stir crazy. Tuesday was 76 degrees sunny and gorgeous. I drove. Stupid ankle. Weds morning I couldn't take it anymore so I donned my rain gear and headed out to work in the cool drizzle. Nothing like a good steady drizzle, gray skied, cool winter day on a road bike to bring a smile upon your face. In my mind this is what the road bike is for: riding in crappy cold disgusting horendous weather. I mean why waste a nice day on a road bike when there is a perfectly good mountain bike and trails to be ridden? The ankle hurt to bend and press down while climbing or pushing a big gear, so I tried to settle into as steady of a spin as possible. The commute home had cold steady soaking rain, wind, speeding cars, darkness, and a really stiff and sore ankle. My ankle is more sore today than it was Sunday. I must have read a page out of the Bad Idea Racing handbook; "How to reinjure an injury by being impatient" (or would that be "See Dick hurt foot. See Dick re-hurt foot.").

More rain this morning but it's supposed to cool down and clear up for Friday, so I hope to get another ride in. Maybe the ankle will be better by then? (What do you say Doc Hodge, sprained Achilles should only be a day or two off the bike right? You know a sprain is worse than a break. (Or is that a strain? I should ask the 8-Ball)) The weekend is calling for crappy with more crappy and a chance of even more crappy over night, gonna be a great crappy road bike weekend! Nothing ticks the hours and miles by faster than crappy cold wetness and road grime followed by a warm cup of coffee and some 2 for 1 Imperials at the local pub. I'm going to see how much grime I can accumulate on the geared roadie then send it down to Hodge for a tune up, all caked in crud. He loves that.

Rumor on the street is that Greg's spot will soon be filled. I don't believe it, but stranger things have happened. I hope he didn't go for the XT hubs and the Delgado rims, that'd be a huge mistake. (heh).

Team meeting for the crew at the Tap Room tonight, The Squirrels of DSG are buying the first round.






No comments: