J5's Daily Grind

Monday, April 7, 2008

Another Monday

It was a great weekend despite ending it with two bikes on the disabled list. Down to just the Ferrari at the moment. I also forgot to bring my mini-USB to USB cable so I could download all the images I took from Saturday. Chalk it up to another Monday.

Yesterday was beautiful, clear blue skies and 70 degree temps. I took the pups out for an hour long run. We hit the river but it is still 6 feet over normal and moving way to fast for safe pup water play. The normally dry creek in my little trail was 3 feet deep and flowing, so it made for a nice water stop on our run. Came across a mountain lion (or an emu) running across the back field. Not 100% as the visual wasn't confirmed, but it moved more like a large cat than a coyote. Dish wanted to give chase, but luckily I had him on leash.

H. got off work at 8AM and had plans to ride some Sunday when she awoke around 1PM. Sexpot texted with a dinner invite, the day was too beautiful to waste on a long lonely grinding ride, so I quickly set forth to make plans for an urban adventure. We met Mike and Jeanie downtown at LP Field, which IS across the river, and watched/heckled/chased gRant around and around as he raced in the Nashville Cyclists crit series race. Ran into White Lightnin' Werle and Andy Berry, spun Werle's dope Circle A fixie around and enjoyed watching the race.

Then it was off to explore the greenway system and the new bridges with the girls, who haven't had much of a chance to ride in months. The plan was to do the greenway and meet up with the Scavenger hunt crew at Beyond the Edge for a beer. Like I said that "was" the plan. As anyone who has ever ridden on a ride led by me is quick to find out, plan on the "plan" changing. After some adventure riding in marshland, mud, a creek crossing, and more marshland, we made our way out to the Fortland exit. Notice that is Fortland with an F. Reading it while riding I saw it as Portland, which would have taken us close to Sharpie's house where we could stop in and say hey to he and the kid. Needless to say we were a bit "off course" and uncertain of which direction to head. A call to Sharpie (cuz Jeanie wasn't about to let it go until a call was made), some quick maps.google.com searching and we were back in the game. A left, a right, a left, a long hill, a right with a downhill, then a left to the bar. 2 for 1's and some Sweet-n-Low laced Yazoo Porter before we headed out to the car.

The gals drove, Mike and I rode; meeting up for Mexican dinner before going our separate ways. About 5 hours of saddle/outside time was had and enjoyed by all. Jeanie even got to splash me with mud (after I had gotten the girls wet by hopping into a street puddle while riding). Paybacks, always fun. My only regret is not performing the flying mud tackle, though consensus held that Jeanie would have totally stomped my ass.



No comments: