Another 2 hours of gravel/off-road test riding and an enjoyable commute in to work with the Epic Designs Frame Bag. I'm loving it. In fact I just ordered a Gas Tank. I had discussed with a fellow (and somewhat jealous) cyclist about maybe getting a larger sized one for commuting, make it easier to haul clothing, computers, etc... but the more I thought about it, packed it, rode with it, the more I leaned towards having the adaptability of the Gas Tank and the Frame Bag.
Tent pole loops Eric put in for me conveniently double as CO2 cartridge holders. Each loop easily accommodating 3-4 16gram canisters without getting in the way of the rest of my pack. Not quite a bandoleer, but much better than them clanking around loose and a happy discovery for a "dual purpose" tent pole strap. I heft the bike over a gate to get onto the paved road from the gravel farm road. When the rack is on it, even empty, it's an extra grunt to heave it over. You feel where the added weight is. Same with a heavily loaded saddle bag. This pack, loaded with 9 CO2s, 3 2.235 tubes, rain jacket & pants, multi-tool, 2 Pedros tire levers, a CO2 inflater cap, extra chain links, and a 3 allen triangle wrench, was barely a noticeable weight difference. Easy to grasp the back of the top tube and the stem and lift it balanced. Same was true with riding the hills to work. Out of the saddle the tail waggles when loaded with a rack, or the saddle bag bounces around; the frame bag was secure and hid the weight well.
That got me thinking rather than a larger pack, ordering up a smaller one for the shorter 4-12 hour epic rides. Reason being the weight balance is impeccable. So now I'm thinking ultra thin with elastic CO2 holders and enough room for 3-4 tubes. Maybe a compression strap. Or I might go with an inverted gas tank design. Not sure. I'm going to keep playing with it, but so far I'm already ready to say Sia-nara to the fanny pack of doom I've been using on rides like Snake, ORAMM, Swank, & Leadville.
Why not a saddle bag? I don't like that they are either too big or too little. They are often cumbersome to access with their usual straps over and around the zippers or a pain to repack or deal with when muddy. They also block or limit tail lights and reflectors. I was able to pull a tube, CO2, tool, and jacket out while riding today. It's that easy to get into this thing. Not that I can change a flat while riding (though that would be pretty cool at parties), I just wanted to see if I could easily and safely get to items inside the pack. Could be I need a cookie at 4 AM in Iowa or a friend needs a hit from the flask. You never know so I should be prepared right?
So, sorry to ramble on about packs, but I'm just that excited by this discovery. The quality is top notch, the service is great. There are so many options and possibilities opened up now that my head is spinning thinking of new and clever ways to haul crap with me through the outdoors. Whichever design I go with next, you can be certain I'll request one thing, a chapstick holder. Yup, I'm still jealous of Ken's stem mounted stick holder.
2 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment