I have severely agitated and inflamed the ball of my foot (much like I do most friends). The pain feels like there is a large sharp rock taped to the ball of my foot whenever I stand or walk. No weight or movement of the foot and it's just a minor ache. Putting weight on it - such as pedaling, standing, absorbing shocks through the pedals - and my foot is alighted with pain. Hello sesamoiditis.
"A sesamoid is a bone embedded in a tendon. Sesamoids are found in several joints in the body. In the foot, the sesamoids are two pea-shaped bones located in the ball of the foot, beneath the big toe joint.
Acting as a pulley for tendons, the sesamoids help the big toe move normally and provide leverage when the big toe “pushes off” during walking and running. The sesamoids also serve as a weightbearing surface for the first metatarsal bone (the long bone connected to the big toe), absorbing the weight placed on the ball of the foot when walking, running, and jumping." (source: footphysicians.com)
PMBAR's rocky hike-a-bikes in aging shoes started the ache. DSG's hike-a-muck with the same aging shoes who's cleat back plate pressed through the insole of my shoe added to the damage. While last Sunday's ride in even older flexier shoes put the final nail in the coffin. Essentially I have tendinitis in a very bad spot for cycling - the main connection point to the bike.
Great. This is going to make gritting through the 205 miles of Dirty Kanza even grittier. Considering the 1/4 mile or so gravel drive to the barn hurt like hell, I'm getting aggravated. No riding this week. Hoping it'll heal up some by Friday. We'll see.
Good news though, I think the new cycling shoes fit and their stiffness helps limit the flexing of my sore joint. Combined with my current work load, I really don't have time to get out for rides anyway so being forced behind a desk is probably a good thing. I just hope it heals up enough to allow me to bear weight on it and only be a minor teeth grinding pain at DK. Fingers and sore toes crossed...



No comments:
Post a Comment