Every once in a while a weekend come around where I get to return the support crew duties. H and the girls had an eventing show down in Beech Grove Saturday and it was time I cashed in my chips. I'd often heard of the fox hunts and events in Beech Grove, I'd ridden the rolling back country roads around there several times, but never got to see the property.
The property is gorgeous. Rolling hills, open fields, and forested sections. They had several courses set up that had horse and rider jumping up hill, down hill, in the woods, through water, and galloping through rocky trails and open fields. It's a beautiful track and it's a shame there aren't more wide open places where you can gallop a horse across the rolling country. 

H. and Ian startingH. and the Gov'na had their work cut out for them. The Gov having to work in the scorching sun and H having to reign the Gov's head back into the tasks at hand. Luckily the group running the show allowed the opportunity to ride multiple rounds and Ian was ready to work the second round. Being just an observer, they looked much more cohesive the second round and I was happy to see H. getting a chance to compete at something she loves and puts so much time and effort into.

While H. was registering for the event, I noticed a pile of fox hound puppies basking in the shade. They were damn cute and pretty comical. Had there been a 'Puppies for sale' sign I might have ended up with 3 or 4 of them. Luckily no such sign was present and I haven't ruined my new puppy plan.



Stella the house guest spent the weekend with us. Starting out earlier into her visit, the constant monitoring, policing, and sock retrieval of a young hyper puppy was wearing thin on my nerves and the experience just made me angry about losing Poey the perfect pup. After a day she and I started to bond and it became more tolerable. We exercised her with the bike, started to work on her on leash behavior, and she started to come to me when she was called. By Friday I was talking about starting the search for a new pup. Hartsville TN has a Catahoula breeder that I'm hoping will have a new litter soon. (Ever the sucker for a hound).
Dish is a Catahoula and when he had all 4 legs he was the ultimate training partner. He'd run 40 miles with me out in the woods while I rode and usually he'd end up with more miles from running amok when I'd stop. He's the perfect watch dog, ever alerting you to anything out of the ordinary or someone approaching camp or home. Most people fear him, which is good, but really he's just alerting his pack that something isn't right. He's not yappy and doesn't just bark to bark. He also won't let you forget you have a Catahoula and loves to go whether it's in the car, truck or bike. He's and excellent swimmer and has a short, single layer coat which works well with my allergies. He also knows how to swindle food from unsuspecting Canardians. I think another Dish is just what I need.

Speaking of Dish, taking a cue from Earth's Best Friend, I carried our own cups to the Harvey party bash of the year, celebrating the year of the 49'ers (Rob turned 60). Harvey/Maloney parties are legendary. DJ, incredible spread of food (from vegan dishes to tastey bacon), kegs, wine, and whiskey. The parties rage on into the night and all guests are invited to camp out on their farm. Morning brings the best hippy breakfast in the world, enjoyed outside next to a babbling creek. Post breakfast is spent playing in the creek with the dogs.
A Harvey/Maloney party is the closest thing we adults get to the care free summers we had as kids. Exactly the kind of re-charge I was needing, but somehow leaving me feeling like I need a vacation to recover.











No comments:
Post a Comment