2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
The Long Dark Road Back
In the last 25 days I've ridden outside exactly twice (Dec 27th & Jan 9th). During those same 25 days, I've ridden two indoor trainer rides (Dec 7th & 14th) and logged 21 miles of running (Dec 2nd, 10th, 16th, & 17th), about 12 push-ups and maybe 3 sit-ups. Not exactly where I'd like to be with my first Snake of 2010 looming 2 weeks away. Nor with the finale of Cross The Way this weekend. After the Gravel Grovel, I had hopes and visions of getting in some solid base miles like krs1 and I were able to do last December and January. But it's just not worked out that way.
It's been since July that I've consistently gotten out and ridden my bike. The starting of a new career in August and the juggling of a new schedule kept me from my normal routine. I managed a few commutes, but soon the long hours and the added time from the commutes had me beat down. Like Dicky's current economic predicament, my finances are tight. My salary is less than half of what I used to make and I'm still trying to catch up after 11 months of unemployment and December's wonderfully exciting vehicle dilemmas.
Since August I've been struggling to keep up. I realize now that I can't. Not for lack of trying, but the game has changed. I've been trying to make the new changes fit into the old mold. They won't. At first I was under the illusion that all I needed was an attitude change. I think even the girls suggested that several times. They were probably right, but really it wasn't my attitude as much as it was me fighting to make things as they were rather than how they are.
The struggle with work is the hours. We're stuck in between having to maintain normal Mon-Fri business hours while providing access for those on 12 hour shift work, which means the schedule is never set, never fits neatly between normal business hours, nor always just M-F as weekends are utilized too. For someone who likes the ability to plan ahead, the constantly updating schedule and nightmarish commute frequently results in disappointment and frustration. Which has found me giving up trying to get out and enjoy a ride.
Having 5 months under my belt, work is starting to become regularly irregular and I'm learning how to adapt to the adaptable. It's not ideal, but it's better than it's been. I actually made it out for a ride tonight despite the threat of rain, the misting drizzle, and the late hour. I'd planned on a trainer ride thinking I'd get out of work later, but we were surprised with it being earlier (never said the schedule is always bad, just unpredictable) and I was able to get some things taken care of and still have time to get out for a ride.
It was just what I needed. The first climb sucked, my legs rioted and my lungs quickly joined in the argument and I almost pulled the plug, but the misting drizzle and the eerie red gray glow of the Nashville lights silhouetting the Highland Ridge reminded me why I love being outside on a bike.
So, for the foreseeable future, late Tues, Weds, & Thurs evenings are going to be my ride windows. Those of you other working stiffs who can't make it out to those "be ready to ride at 5:30pm" organized rides due to work and life, shoot me an email or leave a comment if you want in on some of the rides. This week will mostly be Joelton/North Nash based rides. Next week work has me out of state until Weds, so more local rides that week as well. But I plan to mix it up and do some from downtown Nashville out to Percy then for brews until I can figure out how to make the bike commuting work out without running myself into the ground.
So now I'm up to 3 days, it's going to be a long road back.
(guess I should have named the post "Long Way Back from Hell" to tie into Hennessey's Danzig theme...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I can relate to the unpredictable schedule blues! It's tough for me as well, mainly with motivation more than anything. Motivation and guilt.
But I'd be interested in some week day rides, I generally just need a reminder as I'm more and more skatter brained lately it seems.
My window of free time is also closing quickly. 14 weeks and counting! Hopefully after that I won't have to stare at old pictures of riding and my friends and remember the old times.
Word verification: luraq
Don't know what that means and it's almost 2am so I'm not thinking straight.
I started a new job in April that cut into my riding schedule. It took me a long while to adapt. It used to piss me off and I would be grumpy around the house,but an attitude change has helped significantly. That and my wife handing it to me on the trails. Now I take what I can get. Quote from Farmer G "Ride when you can, and when you can, ride hard" Simple words that help alot.
i'll be down for some tues night action. could meet you in downtown or closer to the park since that's sorta by my hood.
hope to see you on saturday if i decide to race. with such a nice day i feel like i should take advantage and get a long ride in!
Post a Comment