2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Out of the Rut
Killing time before battling the conditions to get into work, I decided it was time the semi-slick cross tires came off and knobbies went back on. Not having replaced my go to tires with new go to rubber, I decided to save some coin and try some new old things. Typically I find a tire that works well (or well enough) in all conditions, is strong, grippy, and decent rolling then stick with it for as long as I can get them at discount through whatever online shop or local shop that happens to have them in stock.
First it was Kenda Karmas, but fast wearing, lack of traction and sidewall issues had me dump them for Continental Vertical Pros. The Vert Pros lasted until I couldn't find anymore and I moved to Maxxis Ignitors which had near identical knobs and were a bit lighter in weight and much truer in width than the Continentals. I used to have mud tires and hard pack tires, but I hate swapping tires. So I pick one and leave it.
Finding myself lacking in the new Maxxis rubber department and not feeling like shelling out $48 bucks for a tire, I opted to dig in my pile-o-26'er-tires handed down to me from all my 29'er riding friends. Not really having one I was familiar with and very few with the round profile that I prefer, I opted to go opposite of what I'd normally pick out.
The first big change is that I'm trying a tire from a manufacturer who's marketing actually turns me off from wanting to buy their products. But I decided I'd give it a go since so many friends run their gear and swear by it. Besides it's the product not the marketing that matters right? The second change is going with a wide, high volume tire. 2.3 has been my idea of a fat tire for a while now, preferring 2.0-2.2. tires most of the time. My new (used) front is a beefy 2.55 and taller than any tire I've ever ridden.
Another change for me is running a tire designed for low tire pressures. I generally run 32-35psi and like a stiff sidewall. Since I was already forcing other changes on myself I figured I'd go for one I've not been a big fan of, low tire pressures. So I've gone from a relatively narrow, light weight, high pressure, big knob tire to a low pressure, fat, tall casing small knob tire. As an ardent fan of change (Not really. Can you say curmudgeon?), I'm curious to see how the new meat works out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment