H. brought Dish into my life. It was a package deal. I wasn't really a 'big dog' kinda guy back then. I had a whippet. She was well mannered. Quiet. Refined. More human than dog in her behavior. Dish, on the other hand, was all dog. He loved to run amok and when he wasn't running amok, he was contemplating running amok. In essence, a free spirit.
He jumped on doors. Climbed kitchen walls to get to cat food. Chewed up my shoes. He was a wild child. As we grew to know one another, the chewing stopped (thanks to a near fatal beating with a chaco by H.), and he started mountain biking with me. That's when he really started to grow on me.
He loved to run alongside the bike, much like JD does now, only he would run amok whenever we'd stop. He loved running through tall grass. Swimming in stinky water. And just being. The only things that trumped all else were a good snurfle in the sun, riding in the truck, and eating horse poop.
As he aged, he got more subdued, but never lost that free spirit excitement about going out. He was a tolerant step-brother. A watchful big brother. And a cranky old man. But ever faithful, always loving, and always, always watching. After I lost Poey, Dish took on a more active role as a protector of me. He seemed to know what I needed even when I didn't.
A Dish's job: Keeping watch in the field...
And always letting his sister have the big bed...
And tolerating getting walked on in the car...
And leading the next generation along the path.
That damn dog taught me a lot about how I should be living my life. How to loosen up and just be in the moment. In essence, he reminded me how to have fun. Daily.
He even showed me the way out many times when I was lost in the woods. He was my compass and I will always be a little lost without him. Rest in peace my sweet Dishy waggle tail.


















8 comments:
Didn't want to be sad today but amazing tribute! I know he'll be missed!
Beautiful Thad.....just beautiful.
Beautiful Thad.....just beautiful.
Awesome tribute to Dish!
I'm so sorry, Thad. It is so hard to lose a dog. But these photos are great-- what a good life he had!
you know i started reading this blog before i ever met you and and it was right after poe died and my pup (peter) had just died and it was just a sad bastard time in life.
now here we are again.
these dogs are so important to those of us that have them. the loss can't be calculated correctly.
anyway, i'm sorry it was his time.
and i hate to be reminded that my dogs are mortal and will someday have to leave me too.
my heart goes out to you and H and JD. he'll be missed.
So Sorry to hear the Big Fella is gone. Sadly missed by all your readers.
Fantastic tribute and beautiful pics, did Dish justice
so very sorry for your loss
Post a Comment