JD, chillin between CX racesSeems like ages since I had a free moment to collect my thoughts. It's been non-stop since last Friday and I'm not really certain what's been preventing the stop other than a lot of time at the office, on the road to and from the office, and a list of things needing done around the house. It's already 10:03pm and I've been running around non-stop since getting home at 6 tonight with a host of crud needing to be done before bed. I need a slower clock.
The job is going well and I'm getting into the swing of things, though the schedule is still a bit all over the place, but it's getting better to manage life around it somewhat. I still have no vacation time and being the low man on the totem, I get to work all the holiday days that the others get to be off. Which wouldn't be so bad since I don't really have the extra funds to fund such fun, but being salaried, I get screwed and don't get any bonus for working those holiday days or overtime. FAIL!
So, not only did my summer season suck due to no money my normal winter season haunts are going to suffer from having to work for the man. But don't take that as whining, oh no, I'm extremely grateful for all I have. Like Zac says "not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand, life is good today." Some people are amidst a worse cycling economic downturn than my piddly 11 month episode. They had to endure racing stage races (free entry) in foreign lands (Colorado), hanging out at the Moots mothership (free home away from home), house dancing till the Canardians came home and kicked his dehydrated hydrated butt in Durango, and still perform a job they love. Not sure how one continues to drag himself out of bed in the morning, especially knowing how tough it was for me in my economic cycling downturn. (a little too heavy on the sarcasm, Rich? You know I'm kidding, though I'd be nicer if you'd remembered that t-shirt you promised me, not gotten beaten by Peter, and not been so meh about the White Awesome.)
But I digress, this isn't about economic downturns, it's about cycling and the first weekend of Cross the Way ignited a new fire underneath me. I'm gunning for The Great Fondoadie. My nemesis. My instigator. My partner in crime. He's going down (flying tackle + mud puddle). Here are a few more shots of the long gone fun of the past weekend.
So, not only did my summer season suck due to no money my normal winter season haunts are going to suffer from having to work for the man. But don't take that as whining, oh no, I'm extremely grateful for all I have. Like Zac says "not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand, life is good today." Some people are amidst a worse cycling economic downturn than my piddly 11 month episode. They had to endure racing stage races (free entry) in foreign lands (Colorado), hanging out at the Moots mothership (free home away from home), house dancing till the Canardians came home and kicked his dehydrated hydrated butt in Durango, and still perform a job they love. Not sure how one continues to drag himself out of bed in the morning, especially knowing how tough it was for me in my economic cycling downturn. (a little too heavy on the sarcasm, Rich? You know I'm kidding, though I'd be nicer if you'd remembered that t-shirt you promised me, not gotten beaten by Peter, and not been so meh about the White Awesome.)
But I digress, this isn't about economic downturns, it's about cycling and the first weekend of Cross the Way ignited a new fire underneath me. I'm gunning for The Great Fondoadie. My nemesis. My instigator. My partner in crime. He's going down (flying tackle + mud puddle). Here are a few more shots of the long gone fun of the past weekend.
I gotta cut this short if I'm ever going to get to bed. I smell gravel in the air... or so my inbox seems to be telling me. Gotta love Fondoadies:
This sounds good to me, just a few questions:Best retort I've read in a while:
1. how long is the ride?
2. are we going to go slow mtb group ride pace, or actually maintain a superior roadie training ride pace?
3. will there be many stops for pictures? I don't mind, but need to know on the front end (for obvious reasons).
4. Can I ride my vertically stiff and laterally compliant carbon rocket euro race bike with 25's, or do I need to ride the cross bike, which for some reason does not appear to be very fast this year.
5. Will gRant carry an extra water bottle, food, spare tube, frame pump and other tools for me?
6. Is this rain or shine? Cause its probably going to rain. I am fine with rain, but don't want to get too excited if everyone is going to email out Saturday morning because it is raining.
"The ride is long enough to leave a mark, but not so long that Jeffy will be the only one to finish it."
Viva la gravel!










No comments:
Post a Comment