2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Strapping Laundry Loads
Now that the bike is reassembled and in (mostly) working order, attention can now be turned to the packing of the packs for the portage of the required PMBAR gear. The list appears smallish and I'm sure many folks have it whittled down to the minutest of packs, but my smallish bundle seems awkwardly large for jersey pockets. Being that I rarely use backpack styled packs they usually tend to cause me grief on long outings. Sore neck, shoulders, chafing, and sore back muscles after hours and hours of bouncing around on trails. Last year my wingnut worked pretty well, but it was an uncomfortable pain in the lower back and chafed collarbones. So I'm opting to avoid an over the shoulder boulder holder this year.
Food and clothing will ride in the jersey pockets. Required gear packed smartly in the frame bag for easy access and gear checks (the wingnut was a pain for that last year). I added a 3rd bottle cage to get the water weight off of my back and the fanny pack of doom might make an appearance for some tool/parts portaging. We'll see as I'm still repacking my repacking and reserve the right to repack the repacked repack without notice. The goal is to haul less crud than last year but in a lean, mean, off-road-able smart package.
Backcountry Research's Awesome Straps will securely hold all things tire repair related and might come in handy in securing Dicky to random flag poles or moving vehicles. Cohutta's mud and grit did a number on making the straps mucky. Luckily they are wash and wear. No ironing needed. Drippity drying.
Shazam!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Good luck to you guys this weekend.
Wet again?
Post a Comment