Whiskey River don't run dry.
This whole work for the weekends thing is beginning to feel a bit redundant. Another week down, another weekend to cram in as much as possible to get through the upcoming week. Kinda gloomy but nothing a relaxing night of wrenches, grease, and whiskey to the iTunes provided soundtrack of life in the man cave to put to bed the lingering stresses of the work week.
My Precious'
Having my babies (cogs) back has opened the gambit for ride possibilities. Having a single single gear made my favorite trails beastly and my options for enjoyment limited. Now that the band is back together all the favorite hits are available. Options abound, the trusty 19 for the mountains, the 18 for the local trails, the 15 for gravel, the notoriously infamously illusive Misfit 16t, the TomiCog for off-road fixie action? Skies the limit. It's so nice having options again. Singlespeeding at it's finest.
Dammit!
While working on the bike I removed the rear wheel to give it a once over and dammed if I didn't find a slit in the sidewall. Miss Mary Molly had warned me about the issue as her sidewalls split up after only a few rides. I attributed it to her having the 120tpi eXCeption rubber and me the cheaper 60tpi versions, as mine had survived many a rough ride including LBL, Cohutta, DSG, CrudeXC, PMBAR, and Kanza without incident. Yep, PMBAR even despite Dicky's gaspy "THOSE aren't Pisgah approved tires!!" exclamation the night before the race. With a back country trail all mountain-esque trail ride coming up on Sunday I almost swapped out the tire for the front one and put my Ignitor on the front, but dammit I'm going with it. I've been hoping to go all year and all races on the same tires just to do it that I'm not gonna let a little slicey dicey get in my way. If it goes this weekend it'll just give me a chance to practice my sewing with my sew up kit. Yup, living life on the edge, bi-otch.
Thursday again offered escape by bike and recovery by beer. The 74 degree morning start to the commute in was awesome, the 111 heat index on the way home wasn't quite so lover-ly, but luckily once I hit the last 10 miles of hills the shady country lanes offered a reprieve from the oppressive heat. H. and the pups met me at the house for some evening dirt laps out back and a little swimmin' for the waterhound pups.
Sunflower by sunflowers at Sunset
It was the second or third time this year H. has gone out on a ride with me. Pretty special. Two dirt rides and a road ride, I believe. I bailed after a couple laps and played in the lake with the pups, being cooked from the hot ride home. She continued on for several more before we headed back for some dinner: garden fresh grilled tomato sandwiches and a carrot cake celebration for baby Claire's 1 month celebration.
The boy has endless energy, playing ball after a ride/run and swim.
Ah, livin' the dream. Or at least living the dream on the way to the dream of dreamy dreams. Yep. While I’m alone and (Moots) blue as can be, Dream a little dream of me.
Edit: Why didn't any of you a-holes tell me that Danzig released a new album? Peter I'm looking North. Album purchased for Sunday's ride.







2 comments:
is that "Damn It" caption under the photo because you're still riding 26" wheels?
Don't make be come up there Biggie.
Post a Comment