J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, July 8, 2010

3 Stage Thursday

Trails are extremely dry and dusty, a rarity in the MidSouth.


26 miles in the climbing heat this morning. Twenty miles of hills with 6 miles of flat-like terrain. It was 84 when I left and 94 when I arrived. Post work the plan was to head to the Taproom for pints with T.roy and Kevin, but when I stepped outside of the windowless cavern of work I was greeted with rain, dark skies, thunder, and lightening all around except for North. I live North. So I bailed on the beverages in hopes to beat the weather home. 26 miles of Flanders-esque roads (hilly, wet, slick, and crowded) at tempo in the scorching heat. Eyes stinging from the sweat due to the lack of an evaporative wind.  I beat the weather. Though the weather was tracking South-ish. Doh!

Taking a break lake side...

So 52 miles ridden in two stages 8 hours apart and I missed out on pints with friends, what was a guy to do.  Oh yeah, tend to a mopey, neglected puppy who was mad that we missed out on our run Weds night due to mandatory bike maintenance and super wound up from being locked inside all day why the carpet cleaners were around.

so the Monkey can cool down. Better check for leeches.

So after nearly melting on the way home I swapped bikes and headed out to the pit with the pup to get our dirt on. 5 miles was about all the pup could muster in the heat so we spent most of the time playing in Leech Lake. I think he's forgiven me for last night, or at least forgotten last night ever existed.

Wanna Play Ball, do ya? do ya? huh huh? I wanna play ball.

Not quite beers with buds, but any day in the woods with the pup is a good day. Having nearly lost him to a car I'll take all the time I can get.  Though if I keep up the solo single day stage racing I'm going to have to add some flatter trails in the back. Best part is that not only was today my longest riding in weeks, I suffered no ill effects of the gut. Hopefully we're getting things turned around. CT scan with die of my liver next week to check the mysterious nodule-not-nodule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget how you almost lost him to a huge gaping wound ...near evisceration...on his side. Oh, and how you almost list him to the cat nearly clawing his eyeball out...Please don't DIE puppy!