Where ever I roam, I always manage to make new friends.
Despite the "systems" still being down, I was finally, hopefully, able to close the chapter on the car saga. We'll see. I'm a little leery of what might come about the case of Yazoo beer I dumped out of the slumlords cooler in the back hatch. The beer was bad, the cooler good, so why haul off a cooler of soured beer floating in poop water when I can just dump it out in the car right?
After waiting nearly an hour for my car to be "found" at the lot and brought up to me, I was finally one step closer to resolution. The car was pretty much as I left it, window down enough to sneak an arm in and full of all my cycling and camping crap. It smelled of river dirt, old nasty river dirt. Much like the odor of the poop water I had to wade through to escape.
For the most part it was dry, though some of the compartments and the floor boards were still soaked with swamp water. The glove box was surprisingly water tight and only had a tiny bit of moisture in it. The console was a bog of nastiness. The seats hardened by a thick coating of dirt. Nothing electronic worked and there was a ton of float in garbage that had collected in the front from the open window. My car was a brita filter for the creek. No charge Nashville.
My beloved Toolie roll is back where it belongs.
Whatever lived in the front was the worst hit. Most of it unusable garbage or completely destroyed. The car must have floated ass end up during it's water logged state as the items in the rear hatch were mostly clean and completely dry; Stuff such as my tent, sleeping pad, bag, and wingnut gear from PMBAR. My tools were in a bag behind the drivers seat and were mostly salvageable albeit still in a damp sack. Also the tubes and chain I bought before leaving town were all safe inside their plastic bag. Bonus.
Everything has a varying level of dirt deposited on it. The water was filthy brown and left it's mark and stank on pretty much everything inside the car. Three months of baked in dirt and stank. MMmm.
This allen tool used to be gun metal gray. Now it's whitish with rust accents.
Amazingly my cogs (stainless steel) survived without dirt or rust.
Some items seemed to escape damage completely. Like my PMBAR water bottle and number plate. Also a newspaper clipping about my Grandfather and Grandmother survived without damage despite being in the bog filled console. My minewt plus lights still work and one of the 2 batteries still has a charge. Hell yeah. Hopefully the batteries aren't damaged and explode when I try to charge them, but so far, so good. Not bad for 3 months of swamp life.
Oh, and Parker. I got the brake pads you needed. Told you they'd turn up. Now you can pay me.













8 comments:
wow. that is amazing. glad you finally got so much of your stuff back.
You are just one lucky sum bitch.
Not that you would, but seems like you could sue the towing company for holding it so long before contacting you ruining any chance you had to salvage your shit and maybe even your car all in the name of their "hold it till the last minute and then bleed the owner dry" scam.
glad you were finally able to close the saga. Can't believe it... you should sell the story to hollywood!
Wow. Do you have to give $ back to the insurance company?
I'll pay you for dem brake pads this weekend homie!
@Parker: I didn't claim anything, remember the whole conversation with Will? Comp covered the car, everything else I just left alone. The car is off to auction as the insurance company has the title on it. They just called and let me come clear out any personal items I wanted.
That's right. Forgot about that.
It is nice that such a hassle turned out pretty damn good!
"It is nice that such a hassle turned out pretty damn good!"
Amen, oh and thanks for jinxing me. Jerk.
off to auction...yes...no run on out there and buy it back...the fates declare it!
Post a Comment