J5's Daily Grind

Friday, January 4, 2008

Dancin' Shoes On My Straight Drive

My whirlwind of chores to be done before the weekend is nearing an end. Tis but a wee breeze now really with just a few more hours of fake working remaining. Need to drop my surly wheel off at MOAB for Brandon, pick up some Yazoo for Hodge, load up my bike, and hit the road. Everything was pretty much packed and ready last night but I wasn't able to load up the car until it got back from Vanderbilt this morning. I made sure to load the D.P. party pack and made me a warm and squishy down bed in the back so all I have to do is show up, party, and pass out without needing to worry about setting up or breaking down camp. Perfect.

I swapped tires back to my Conti's on Yersinia Pestis. As much as I love the 2.6 tires, as much as they make me crave descending faster than I've ever cared too, they tend to aggravate me like a heavy wheeled 29'er - too much effort required to loft, hop, and pick my lines. They are more of a roll over anything and power through kinda wheel. Which is great, but requires me to change the way I like to ride. So the (not much) lighter, smaller Conti's are back on for the Snake. The 2.6's will go back on Monday. They are still too much fun to ignore. Good heavy trainin' tires for my "straight drive" - that's what my grandfather calls my singlespeed.

"You still ridin' that straight drive? I got me a three speed in the garage." makes me smile every time.

Update: Well thanks to Hodge for passing along the "nothing seems to go right for me" blues, no more easy-peasy weekend setup. Heading out to the truck to run some lunchtime errands, I noticed a long string of drips leading underneath the truck. Then a larger pool underneath the truck. Oil. Great. The truck cranked up and there is ample oil pressure according to the gauge, but when I checked the oil dip-stick it didn't even register as having any oil in it. Great. T.roy ran me home to get my car so I can finish my errands. I've scrounged up a ride from 8ball so I can leave my car for H. so she can get to and from work this weekend. Looks like I'm getting a repair bill for my birthday. Yeah-F-in-Rah!



No comments: