J5's Daily Grind

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Snow Drive

The drive back to TN took longer than expected yesterday as a snow/blowing snow storm was happening South of the hometown. Visibility kept going from bad to worse, then the driving horizontal winds would blow the cars around. Several cars and vans in the ditch, many tow trucks out, lots of slick spots on the road and a few close calls of almost sliding out of control happened. Luckily we arrived home at the farm all intact and without incident shortly after 10 last night.

After a quick and cold (16 degrees in TN?) unpacking of the car, I set about gathering clothing and anxiously preparing the mini-pug for the next mornings commute. 4 days of no riding and overeating has me in a fine mood. I did get a nice run in with a short indoor spin at Papa Ted's Fitness Center to keep the blood pumping. As morning came, my sinuses were causing all sorts of pain and I feared riding for an hour in the 16 degree weather would have me sick with a sinus infection on my birthday (aka Snake #1), so I moused out. We headed out and met T.roy and co-worker Kevin for some breakfast before work. Co-worker Kevin hooked us up with a fresh bounty of British candies (he'd gone back to Europe for the holidays). We enjoyed a good breakfast, catching up with everyone's holiday, and savoring the Bongo Java coffee (small independent and local Nashville roaster) since it is just now close enough for me to get on a semi-daily basis.

So, back at work after 2 days off and a New Year rung in with the family (I opted for Guiness this year instead of the historical Blue Moon). I worked from home Occasion Eve and Occasion Day, then came into work Thursday and Friday (Weds I rode in the AM then worked for "the man" building the tree house). Anyway, it feels like I've been gone forever, but at the same time like I need a break. Oh, the irony. Luckily Snake Creek is this weekend so I can sit back and enjoy myself and some long hours in and out of the saddle. Of course after reading tale of Tomato's recent bike death I'll probably spend those hours worrying, fretting, and listening for creaks in Black Death. (8-ball, you haven't recently ridden the Surly have you??)



No comments: