J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Homesick

While waiting on some info needed from a client, I stumbled onto the National Geographic site. There is currently a feature up on the 'Emptied Prarie', though it's about North Dakota, my home state and town don't look all too different, just a little more life. The drive up there though is littered with dying ghost towns. There is a photo gallery up too, worthy of a browse.

My grandfather came from Pine Ridge, SD. The badlands and the Dakotas have always intrigued me. I miss the small towns. The gravel roads dissecting the state and reaching to the horizon. The different way of life.

Feeling excited to get back to TransIowa this year after seeing these photos as we tour many small towns left to rot off the main interstates. The photos also reinvigorated my desire to get up and ride the Maah Daah Hey trail sometime in the next year or two. Maybe I'll take a season off from racing and just enjoy some new remote scenery.



No comments: