J5's Daily Grind

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Who's That Girl?

I got quite a few birthday surprises last night since H. works from now until next Thursday, but not until I got my chores done. Due to mousing out on the commute and not having ridden since before the weekend, I was in need of a spin mentally and physically. I set up my bike in the only open area (the hallway), turned on ORTA, set up a fan and did one of my old time super secret workouts I used to do back in '05. Back when I regularly stomped Mista Krista (ok, thrice I beat him, once by 2 seconds. That wound ever heal Pepe?) at the SERC races. One more session tonight then it'll be off to Georgia Friday afternoon to party, er... prepare for Snake and my b-day on Saturday.

After the spin session, I called H. to get her ETA, she was getting her hair cut and bringing back my Dish from the babysitters (aka her parents) in the 'boro. She was about 15 minutes out so dinner would be perfectly timed. The first surprise I received last night was a cupboard and fridge full of food from which to create a healthy meal (one resolution is to eat better). Hodge can shove his EPnO and supplements down his throat, I prefer to get mine by eating colors. Check out this pan of simmering goodness. Protein, vitamins, minerals, colors, mmm mmm good. Way better than any old pill, don'tcha think Hodge?

The next surprise was a new set of skins for the commuter bike. Not just any skins, but SweetskinZ. They may be dorky to some of you elite, hip bikers, but I'm stoked. The sketchiest part of my commute is the last 4 miles on unlit, narrow, twisty, dark dark dark country roads with people driving 30+ mph over the speed limit, usually on the phone or texting. I cringe and prepare for the impact every time I ride home. I ride the MTB out of necessity as I'm often sent into the ditch by drivers too preoccupied to pay attention to the road or to on-coming traffic. I wish someone would make a bright bright bright rear light for bikes, something like the Vega or the Minewt. The front is easy to light, but the lone blinky taillights don't do much to illuminate me enough to feel safe. I coat my pack in reflective strips and even put some on my bike, but in the darkness of the sticks they barely make me visible. I have started using the Mars 3.0 taillight and have had 5 different cars stop to tell me how well the rear light works. That's re-assuring, but I'm hoping the new reflective tires (not just stripes, the whole tire is reflective) will up the visibility factor. Though my boss pointed out he'd probably hit me due to the moth effect. Remember it's not IF you're gonna get hit, but WHEN.

The next surprise, which actually was noticed before my tires, was the new girl. I don't know who she is but she sure looks a lot like H. only different. A new year, a new color. It's a nice change and she seems happy and excited about it. World Wide Web Debut photo, which I'm sure I'll get in trouble for posting. I also got a jar from her mom that counts coins for you, so all my Yazoo Growler savings jars will soon be moving over to the new electronic "bank". 31.83 already and it's not even 1/4 full. Between that and the weather center (tracks temps, barometric pressure, etc...) from her mom last year I'm feeling pretty James Bond. The weather center hasn't lied yet either, it's a lot more accurate than those news jockeys. 6.4 was the over night low, btw.

And in a small gesture to relieve some of my noticeably white trash decorating skills, the garbage bag and old sheet stylin' window decor of the bedroom to allow for night shift workers to sleep in the dark and to keep the summer time sun heat at bay was taken down. In it's stead now is an antique quilt. H. bought a curtain rod and rigged up one of her Occasion presents to add a little class, style, and insulation from the cold winter air to the bedroom. While helping her move stuff back into place I asked her what was in a box of mine being put back. "A bunch of sh*t" was her reply. "Why is it that my stuff is labeled as 'a bunch of sh*t' all the time Let's just see what's in there shall we?... an empty lightbulb box, a lightbulb box with a dead 102 bulb in it, a sponge, a box with packing materials, a bag of old rags, a clock that doesn't work, a cat toy".... dammit I hate it when she's right.



No comments: