Saturday I got a special prize from Clay during the post workday swag raffle. I had my eye on a sweet DSG/Yazoo pint glass but got surprised with a more fitting take home present. Now Merle can bray me awake every morning. Who wouldn't enjoy waking up this face and an earful of braying? Thanks Clay. I love it.Sunday the plan initially was for a quick gravel grinder as I had a bit of a time limit, but that soon fell way and the day was wide open. Mike and gRant met me in Leiper's with The Mannondale making a rare early morning appearance. We loaded up into the two trucks and headed off for Fly as we wanted to spend more time on clay, dirt, and gravel than the familiar pavement. We met pumptrack/downhill Jim at the store. The Fly store owner is a really cool guy. He graciously offered up parking for us and he and I went over my map with him spending probably 20-30 minutes showing me all sorts of dirt roads in the area. Even hooking them up to 2 wineries so we could "refuel". He also noted where other general stores were in the event we needed water. He used to be active in small dirt bikes and led dirt road excursions for off-roaders. Even has maps of tours for touring cyclists to explore. He also makes a mean turkey on wheat. Nothing beats small town hospitality. I enjoyed watching The Mannondale's face (who knew nothing of the ride that lay ahead) as the old guy said "you're going up Elam? Boy I'd love to see that I've watched many a motorcycle not be able make that turn going up or down". Classic.
The loop ended about perfectly in our desired mileage window and all of us were pretty well spent after playing in the hills all day. I mentioned to gRant and Mike after we met back up after getting split up, how I have no idea on how many miles I've put in this year or even an average speed/wattage idea, but I remember every fun mile, joke, smack talking, and cheesy grin inspiring downhill. Last weekend the description from most was that the roads are "the closest thing to downhills skiing on a bike". Mannondale said the same words of praise after the end of Tyler Ridge (Trevor). Dinner and fish bowls of Gerst with the ladies joining us after their long day of errands. Eli made an appearance and made a comment about my life being like a sitcom. Upon a short reflection I answered with "that's because I don't hang out with people I wouldn't watch on TV." So thanks to all my loony friends (the characters and the train wreck reality shows for making life worth smiling about.

No comments:
Post a Comment