Apparently the Vassago demons protect their own, no more trying to make Hodge wet himself on the death bus. Thanks to Hodge's henchmen my February has started off like my January: S-H-I-T-T-Y. Literally (see post below). The weekend is almost here and Saturday promises 52 degrees of sunny bliss. The shoulder is feeling better and I've been doing exercises to strengthen it up, but is it better enough to get out on some dirt? I think so. The Giardia picked up from the muddy Snake or intestinal distress from 8-ball cooking (the debate rages on) seems to be passing and I'm able to hold food and water down, but will the body be ready for a dirt filled beat down? I hope so.I've been having some fun, fiery chats with The Rev (bottom-o-page) about bikes, steel, and builders. I've been oogling some of his fares. Sealed tubes, o-rings, straight forward talk about rust, rust inhibition, and design comes from Sean. Hope he doesn't mind me re-posting his words here, I figured T.roy would love to read about rust.
"Speaking of things rusting, it can never be said too many times: Steel rusts. Soulcraft frames are steel. Soulcraft frames can rust. We've spent a lot of time figuring out ways to make our frames more rust/corrosion resistant: sealed tubes, forward-facing seat tube slots, stainless braze-ons, double-coat powder paint, rust inhibitor inside the seat tubes, and o-rings seals for your seat post, to name a few. But, there needs to be a certain amount of responsibility on your part to help make your frame last."
I dig that honesty and accountability (on both sides). Straight shooting like the Surly folks. Tempting. I also lust after the East Coast hardtail beauty of a Ted. Luckily the wallet says 'no dice' (thanks a lot Hodge) due to the last 2 months of hell. So to ease my desire for sealed steel tubes, I'm posting a photo of J.B.D.C (Yersinia Pestis) in his unsealed rust laden glory to remind me to get off-line (aka stop window shopping) and go ride. Glad I didn't pony up $$ to go the the Handbuilt Bicycle Show in Portland with T.roy and Hennessey, I have enough of a bike lust problem as it is. Besides I think H. would read me a chapter or two out of this:


No comments:
Post a Comment