J5's Daily Grind

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Portland Kind Of Day

Friday I decided that the headache and nausea lingering throughout the week had to be the onset of withdrawal, fearing the dt's would soon follow I rushed to the Yazoo Tap Room after work Friday. With Hennessey and T.roy playing bike snobs and hoity-toity beer connoisseurs in Portland, I decided to get a night of Nashie culture. Some good local brew from the local brewery, a nice greasy French bread cheeseburger and onion rings at Rotiers, and a banana caramel pecan yogurt from Shakes. Old Greg was along for the ride and it was nice to have company. He was working late at a studio but was able to get out for food and beers, but split before Shakes. I was craving Shakes, especially after watching Old Greg slam down his chocolate shake at dinner. But I was holding out for the real deal, only to pull up to Shakes and find it gone, in it's stead is a Mexican restaurant. Oh the horror. I headed home deflated and sad.

Saturday was a great ride out at the local mtb hole that drains well. I left my gerber gear on from Snake to kinda "neuter" myself. With the shoulder still on the mend and just getting over 8-ball's cooking, I didn't want to get out and run myself into the ground on my first foray back on the bike. No shoulder pain or ill affects from 8-ball's toxic burgers. I was all smiles and giggles on a course that I typically don't care for, but Saturday it felt like the greatest trail in the world.

Last night I attended my first WalkBikeNashville meeting and was appointed to the board. I had submitted a letter of candidacy a while back thanks to a persistent lass. I figured it's time to stop bitching about the deplorable condition of people powered movement around the city and get actively involved to help change it for the better. Really I'd just like a safe avenue of travel into the city and to educate riders and drivers as that really seems to be the crux of the problem, no one knows the laws or right of ways. I tried to keep to myself and take it all in, seeing as I didn't test the water but rather jumped right in and nobody likes that guy. I'm reserving judgments, but I was surprised to see an area of revenue so greatly under utilized. I'm hoping I can help turn that around, or at least spark some new ideas for revenue generation. I'm not big on asking people for money and would rather earn it, which may or may not shoot my big political aspirations in the foot. We'll see, I might just end up lynched or under the concrete of a new greenway project.





No comments: