J5's Daily Grind

Monday, March 17, 2008

All the news with Gary Gnu

Friday's post was from the heart and the way I see it, but I'd like to share some news and views on things.

Suppose a tank of fuel cost you $150 to travel ~350 miles, how would that change your driving habits? Would you take public transit more, continue to drive, carpool, or pick up a bike? What if it were $150 to fill up a tank now with predictions of the price going up even higher within the next couple weeks? I already ride as much as I can and try not to drive, mostly for exercise and more efficient commuting, but also to save fuel costs and vehicle wear and tear. Well Friday night the "suppose" became "does". That's right diesel has hit $3.99 in Nashville. Some areas such as Brentwood it's over $4 a gallon. I got to drive the car Saturday into town to attend a certification course and the gas light was on so I stopped and put the $20 I had with me in the tank and it filled it halfway, halfway!! The truck $20 wouldn't even fill a 1/4 tank. Diesel is the life blood of goods and services. It's also supposed to take less to refine and be a more efficient, cheaper burning fuel. Diesel prices haven't come down since gas prices started crawling up a few years ago. Not because oil is $100 a barrel, but because the dollar isn't worth anything any more. If the dollar weren't so diluted, the price of oil would be 50-55 dollars a gallon. Remember that when gas prices creep up, it's not purely oil's fault it's also the dollars. Expect products to skyrocket unless the come out with battery operated Semi trucks. Trickle down economics at work. Maybe this'll hit home: That $400 rebate from the federal government is 2 tanks of fuel*.

Last week I became an official Swiftwick sponsored rider. I'm not really sure what that means yet as my team of high priced lawyers and managers are currently scouring and debating the epic length contract to make sure my typical 12.5 Million dollar salary is being properly satiated. While they** debate***, I'll sit back and be assured of one thing. That I will still be buying and sending Swiftwick socks out to friends and loved ones (speaking of loved ones, X-Mater what size is that sweaty hoof-foot of yourn?) because I believe in the product. I've been wearing them since '05 and have been hooked ever since. I love and believe in the product and this recent sponsorship isn't going to change that. I'm honored they think enough of my piddly little self to even offer it up, whatever it turns out to be.

It's kinda like Walz Caps. I have no affiliation with them other than being turned on to their product from a friend then purchasing several hats after the fact. A post on my blog about my ill-shaped corn kernel melon and my flappy cappy led to Jen from Walz sending me a new and larger designed hat, probably under the guise of customer service, but really she's just good people. It matters not that I am threatened with "Disciplinary Action" if I'm caught on film without a Walz Cap (only 3 people will get that, 2 of whom read this blog and one who has to have it read to him but I'm told he likes the pictures). She and her mom are the company and they do great work and are super, super people. People and products like that are rare, so I try to spread the love by telling all 6 of you about their great products. Jen will still catch me trying to pay full retail for a cap or two and probably send me an extra hat, but I try to pass that love on to fellow cyclists. Like Jen once said: "Just like a nice cold beer, Walz Caps are best when shared with friends."

To be honest, both Swiftwick and Walz Caps are best when shared with friends, but I still prefer them worn on my parts. Yup, I said parts. Now where did I put that riding crop...

*: Before you all line up and tell me to sell it and get a more efficient car, bare in mind no Prius can haul 15,000 lbs. The truck serves an important function and purpose. It's not like I'm driving an SUV to haul 2 kids to soccer practice because I can't drive and need a huge rigid framed death ram to protect myself (and kill/mame others in safety crinkle cars). I own a fuel efficient small car, it's currently getting driven a ton by someone who would otherwise be in the poor house trying to keep the diesel running with work and school in 2 different cities. Just think of me as the canary and it's getting very hard to breath.

**they: They as in them. Yup. Them.

*** debate: uh, there's no lawyers or contract or millions. Pretty much I'll just get to live in a room full of wool socks. Kinda like Scrooge McDuck's money pool, only mine will be full of wool goodies. I'll swim around and take photos to post up and aggrivate Dicky who will only be able to get a cotton sock sponsor and who wants to swim in cotton (despite what the softer side of Sears has to say).




No comments: