Let's talk magic. It is typically said of Tennessee weather that if you don't like it wait ten minutes and it'll change. Saturday we had 3-8" of snow across the area with low temps of 24 and highs of 30. Sunday was sunny and a high of 45. Yesterday's brewery ride saw sunny skies and 70 degree temps on the way into downtown. We went from freezing our grapes off to nearly roasting them. Of course the roll home last night wasn't freezing, but still had a nip in the air. These are the days that frustrate me as a bike commuter. What is too much to wear? How much should I carry? Long sleeves with a base layer or short sleeves with a wind vest? Do I need insulated gloves and a cap*? Sounds trivial, but when temps drop 30+ degrees over the course of your commutes, it's something that unfortunately needs to be considered.
Luckily I never waste time thinking about my feet. Sure some of you will be quick to say "that's because you wear wool socks", but that's not the whole story. Last year I got rid of every pair of socks I had and replaced them with 10 pairs of Swiftwick socks. 5 Woolo (wool), 3 Willo, and 2 JutCut (both synpro blend). I actually bought a whole lot more than that, but I sent them off to folks around the country and back home. My dad is a fireman, on his feet all day and out in cold & wet climates fighting fires, I couldn't think of a better sock. Many friends are Nurses, 12 hour shifts heavy on the feet, what better than a sock that stays up and keeps your feet feeling fresh? Equestrians, the OTC Compression sock rules underneath the tall boots, no more blisters. No toe seams to rub and irritate your toes raw while running, cycling, walking, working. No scrunching down and constantly having to tug them up. You put them on and forget about them until right before bed, and when camping, sometimes morning.I used to be a wool snob and wear the woolo socks and only go to the others when I hadn't done laundry. After several wet and cold commutes testing out the synpros, I've since changed my habits, now I just grab a pair of Swiftwicks from the laundry bin and go. I can't tell a difference when they are on my feet. Both keep the temperature perfectly regulated to where I forget I have socks on and I'm normally a feet free kinda guy. When is the last time you rode through 5 ice cold creek crossings without blinking, and not only have your feet stay warm, but leave the socks on for hours after the ride was over? That, my friends, is what makes a sock magic and why my feet were toasty all the way home last night despite me having to stop twice to re-configure my top attire to keep warm.
Can't find Swiftwicks? Drop by Harpeth Bicycles, MOAB, or sign up for the party at DSG and SSUSA as Swiftwick will be there with swag and product sponsoring the shenanigans (along with a HUGE list of others). I hear Big Swifty himself will be on hand to entertain the kids**. Oh, and just so you Georgia kids don't think we Tennesseans don't love ya (Hey Yazoo brought beer to share unlike some beer teams), I hear Addictive Cycles might be carrying them soon, so go pester Hodge.
*Caps: To cap or not to cap, that is the question. Yes you should always don a Walz cap. Keeping an extra in your bag for emergencies is highly recommended.
**Kids in this instance referring to legal drinking aged redhead, blonds, brunettes. Big Swifty is a trademark of Big Swifty Enterprises and not legal tender. Stock #7707. Dealer retains rebates. Not valid in Alaska or Hawaii (he was asked to leave).
*** I'm not a paid celebrity endorser nor am I a paid non-celebrity endorser. This is the text version (with photos added for your benefit) of the narrative that ran through my head on the hour long ride home from pizza last night. Everything was cold except for my feet. If you are unhappy about your current sock based foot pleasure, give'em a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment