J5's Daily Grind

Monday, March 10, 2008

Emu have rights too

Normally any snow warnings in TN are pretty much a joke. Growing up in the Northwestern part of Illinois, an 8-12 inch snow fall barely registered as a reason not to continue life as normal. Several months of snow would finally lead to the marshy yard melting of Spring. We're lucky to get a day with a good solid snow down here. Generally snow only happens to screw up a commute home and is gone almost instantly. Friday the snow came and came fast, so fast it was being called "ThunderSnow" by the weather people. We had over 3 inches at the farm, other areas had upwards of 8 inches!! Luckily I had a gallon of milk and a new loaf of bread so I felt confident we could survive this "ThunderSnow". I still for the life of me can't figure out why Tennesseans flock to the grocery for milk and bread every time the forecast mentions the possibility of snow. And I don't mean a few people, but check-out lines reminiscent of gas lines of the late 70's. Insanity.

Saturday morning we'd planned a gravel grinder but that was pretty much called off by 7:30 AM. There were several inches of snow and ice all over the roads. The interstates were a mess and the secondary roads (not too mention the barely traveled back roads we'd be on) were waiting to catch the cars in their deep ditches. After Mike bailed, I called around to make sure no one was going to attempt to drive out into the boonies. Once assured no one would end up on a ditch trying to make a ride I'd planned, I took the pups out to play in the snow. There were drifts close to 3 feet deep. Dish took off running after I pelted him with a snow ball, and thought he was on solid ground, only to fall deep into the snow disappearing momentarily then emerging in a giant explosion of fur and snow.

After breakfast (farm fresh eggs rule) I suited up for a spin out in the snow covered Brentwood alps with Scott the Monster. The high for the day was to barely reach 31, so it was wool, wool, with wool Swiftwicks (OTC Compression socks natch!). Since the 80 miler was on hold till Sunday, I threw on the Harpeth test saddle for the 3 hour ride. Fred sent a message that Harpeth was having a 40% off of all winter clothing sale so we rode over early into the ride to check it out. Swobo Merino wool long sleeve jerseys 40% off. Damn, great price but my need list is more important at the moment than my want list unfortunately. During our ride we saw family after family out sledding and enjoying the snow while we ground up every hill in the alps trying to stay warm. Despite being below freezing, all the snow had melted by the time we were wrapping up our ride. Another quick stop by the shop for some free espresso and for Scott to pick up some needed warmth on sale. After 3.5 hours of saddle time Saturday and close to 6 hours on Sunday's gravel grinder, I think I've found a replacement saddle.


23 hour Sunday was sunny with a projected high of 48 which turned out to be closer to 58. Tennessee weather - crazy as it's shoppers.

ErnestoLube Update: I applied the lube Tuesday Feb. 26th and have put hundreds of miles on the chain, including several gritty gravel grinders and deep creak crossings. Last night before I cleaned the sand and clay from the mucky grinder ride Sunday, the chain was still clean and quiet. No build up on the chain ring or on the cog. Wiped the chain off with a towel and application #2 went on. So far longer lasting and less mess than T-9. Diggin' it. Mike, you might wanna try some on that loud-assed chain-o-yours, you are starting to drown out gRant's rattle can.



No comments: