2 weeks ago
J5's Daily Grind
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Remembering Galesburg
It's been a while since H. and I made the trek up to my parents' homes and this year was the 3rd year since we'd all been together (sis lives in Boston) 3 years after the previous time. See what I mean about 3's?
First stop, as we rolled into town then past it, was the Blue Pearl in Rio, IL (that's Rye-oh) to meet up with the maternal side of the family. After stuffing ourselves (I wish we could get tenderloin sandwiches like they make in the Midwest down here) we headed back to Grandma and Grandpa's house to chat. Only 88 more days before Uncle Jeff retires from the sheriff's office. Here's hoping the parting Glock comes to fruition!
Grandma felt badly that Dish had to hang in the car while we ate so she made sure he was filled up on treats. He seemed to know better than to bite the hand that feeds him and he was extra careful taking the treats, as opposed to his typical alligator snap.
Around 10PM we made our way over to the Hoffman B&B where more catching up and dog treat giving took place. The weather was in the low 70's and cooling off. Perfect night for a night cap and conversation out in the screened in porch.
Saturday greeted us with cold overcast and misting weather. High of 64 for the 4th of July?!! Typically we're looking at high 90's with heat index over 100 and 90+% humidity levels. Miserable. Instead we were treated to near Minnesota lake summer temps. A much welcomed break from the hot sticky South (although we enjoyed a few 80 degree days recently).
Since it's always all about Hilary (H. / one el), I awoke to what I thought was a knocking at the back door. No one was there, but I did find Hillary (H./ two el's) and Papa Ted slaving over the ice cream maker so that H. would have homemade peppermint ice cream for her Belgian Waffle and coffee.
The ice cream was so worth their effort and the waffles weren't too bad either. Since the B&B was also filled with AJ and Tara, who were still sleeping, we ate in shifts. Nick, Dad, and I got the fresh hot ones. The rest of the slackers came late to the party.
The evening was filled with a nice quiet dinner with the other Grandmothers.
Sunday started off with a visit to Church and to see Nick perform a jazzy solo number during Communion. Nick's a baritone and a damn good crooner at that, though he seems to have inherited the head wobble of his Alto mother, two els. After service we headed down to the coffee/donut social in the basement. I told a kid his tie fighter was cool and then he sent his mother over to tell me that it was ok if I wanted to take a turn playing with it. Maybe there is hope for kids today tomorrow?
A walk over to Innkeepers for some locally roasted coffee with H., Nick, Tara, and AJ before zooming off with Dad over to Dave Klapp's fixit place to clean the injectors on the Mazda3. Dave does so well putting up with me and my car issues. I think he's probably glad I only visit twice a year. After finishing with the car, we raced back home to feast on Taco Pizza (damn I miss that down here) before the party started.
Grandma Frances turned 80 and Dad and Hillary threw her a party at their house with all the family invited. It has been a long time since I've seen most of my cousins, aunts, and uncles and it was the perfect weather and weekend for a get together.
Since the horse shoe court is long gone, croquet has become the sport of kings and we wasted no time tearing up dad's yard. First me, Andrew, and Nuner. Then me, Uncle Gary, and Nuner. Then Taylor, Davis, Austin, Nuner, and I had a go. Victory for me x 3.
Sadly no biking took place over the weekend due to lots of family time, but it was well worth it. It's unfortunate that I didn't even get to all the others I wanted to drop in and see. The bane of living 9 hours away and having a about 60 hours to fit everything and everyone in.
Davis - Did you get that yard mowed yet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















No comments:
Post a Comment